We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

CA
11 posts
Save Topic
Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

We will be in Puerto Rico (after a cruise) Oct 23-leaving 26AM.

Our main must see places are El Yunque & BioLum Bay in Fajardo. Any suggested itinerary to accomplish these 2 things? Our thoughts have been to stay At the Wind Chimes as home base and take tours, or wing it and stay overnight in Fajardo or near Luquillo Beach? Is it easier to drive from the airport to El Yunque, i.e. less crazy traffic going east, etc.? What are the plus & minuses of driving in Puerto Rico in this area? Our concern is the tours won't give us enough time and mobility to see & hike El Yunque. Is it feasible to hike El Yunque and see the Bio Bay in the same day or is that pushing it? Or better yet, do the Bio Bay Sunday night and hike El Yunque Monday. Are there any off days for these 2 attractions, i.e. closed on Mondays, etc.? I appreciate all feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance. sy

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Stay in Fajardo, consider the El Conquistador. You will be close to El Yunque and Luquillo. The nightlife in San Juan is best Thursday to Sunday so you won't miss much. You will be close enough to Vieques so that you can take the sundown tour of the biobay which is the best.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Hey! If I was in your shoes this is what I would do:

23- I guess you get to San Juan in the morning, so you can spend all day in Old San Juan and once youve seen enough drive to Fajardo (I would suggest you stay at the Fajardo Inn, its a nice place and not very expensive at all. It has a great location). Once in Fajardo you can eat anywhere at any of the many restaurants, thre are many for this is an area where tourists visit often.

24- Wake up early and go to El Yunque. You can spend all day here and hike to the top or swim under the waterfalls. After this you can go back to the hotel and rest. That night you could go to the Bio-Bay in Fajardo (unless you stay in Vieques, you cant go to that bio-bay).

25- You can spend the day in the Luquillo Beach, at the Luquillo Kioskos and try evry type of local "snacks"... or go shopping.

26- Go back home.

** That is what I would do... If those are the only things you feel you MUST see.

-Ricky

CA
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Thank U sooo much Ricky B & PRvisitor for your valuable feedback!!!

Ricky B - You are a wealth of info and it's so great to get info from a person who lives in PR!

I love your suggested Itinerary. Now to convince my boyfriend to rent a car will be the trick. I'm thinking we could cab back to the airport from Old San Juan and pickup the rental car to drive to Fajardo. How far is that drive and is there heavy traffic going and coming back - Flight leaves 10AM? Since Vieques Bio Bay would be impossible to see, do you have any suggested Fajardo BioTour companies? Due to the Moon issue and minimum timeframe, should we just wait and make reservations when we get to Fajardo or make one in advance?

thanks again for your invaluable feedback. I'm so glad I found this web forum!

sy

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

The drive to Fajardo from San Juan is best thorugh the north (through Canovanas). This route has stop lights, so if you got a red light every time and there was traffic, I think it would take.... 30-45mins (the most it could possible take is 1 hour, but it would be strange).

The way traffic works is at about 7am-8.30am the traffic into the city is heavy, out of the city is it pretty light. The from 4.30pm-5.30pm its the same story but out of the city. (THIS IS IN THE WEEK). If you did this, by leaving at... 7ish... youd get there ontime for the glish. (just try not to leave later than 7-7.30am).

I honestly dont know... when I go I do the power boat and its some man with a little boat LOL, hes Captain Suarez and its $20 for about 2 hours (i think). But i think youd rather do the kayak tour. Ill see if I can find anything on the kayak tour.

And no, I dont think it will be THAT necesary to book ahead... maybe a bit before you leave call and ask if its filling up.

-Ricky

San Juan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

You should rent the car when arriving, drive to Old San Juan, and when done there, drive to Fajardo and so on. I think its the very best way for you to do. Also, make sure you don't get caught in the traffic back to San Juan on the day of departure. I would suggest leaving as early as possible and have breakfast somewhere in San Juan. Its true that the trip is not that long, but you never know what could happen and believe me, things happens, and even more when you're in a hurry.

CA
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

I love this forum. I totally appreciate your feedback RickyB & Requlluz!!!!

With all the stories of Old San Juan, I'm fearful of driving anywhere near the inner old town. I think AFTER the cruise, we'd like to take Ricky's suggestion of checking out Old San Juan and maybe the Bacardi Rum Factory on Sunday via ferry. public transp. & foot.

Oh, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE LOCKERS TO RENT NEAR THE PORT OF CALL TO LEAVE OUR LUGGAGE FOR THE DAY?

We've decided to take a cab to the airport after our tour of Old San Juan, and pickup a car there on Sunday and drive to Fajardo. We are looking at the Fajardo Inn per RickyB's suggestion. IS THE FAJARDO INN PRETTY DECENT AND IS IT DIFFICULT TO FIND?

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A TOUR CO. FOR THE BIOBAY MOTOR BOAT TRIP AT NIGHT?

Many thanks to ALL. Really appreciate the helpful feedback and suggestions! sy

7. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2007, 12:25
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

I am pro-saving nature, but aslong as its there and it hasnt been made illegal I believe you should use it. This may sound bad but if you feel the power boat really is best for you, be it economic reasons or physical, then do it.

If you are still interested in the power boat, let me know and I will do what I can to find the best one for you.

If you want the kayak tours there are many tours available... There is a tour company callled Total Quality Tours and i believe they offer tours to the BIOBAY in Fajardo on kayak. Search for them on yahoo or something or try and see if they have a sight, last thing I heard they had a sight and it was www.totalqualitytours.com but I am not 100% sure.

-Ricky

PS just giving you that info so that you have more than one option for the biobay.

CA
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Thanks for the continued feedback RickyB & Boricua34! I appreciate the great info and options you have both provided for the Bio bay. We are pretty much following RickyB's suggested itinerary, i.e. Fajardo Inn, El Yunque & Bio Monday and Luquillo on Tues. We will probably pick up more info on the Bio Bay tours to review on our cruise before deciding. Especially with the Moon element to take into consideration, that may juggle the agenda.

Thanks so much. sy

SZ
Covington, KY
Level Contributor
204 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

I stayed at the Fajardo Inn and went on the biobay tour last March. You can make a reservation for the kayak trip on the Fajardo Inn web site when you make your reservation for the Inn or later. The cost is $40 per person, I believe. There is also a map with the location on the web site, fajardoinn.com. I remember having no problem until the final turn up to the Inn and ended up driving all of the way to the waterfront. The final left turn that leads you up a hill to the Inn has only a tiny sign marked "hotel" or something vague like that.