We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

CA
11 posts
Save Topic
Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

We will be in Puerto Rico (after a cruise) Oct 23-leaving 26AM.

Our main must see places are El Yunque & BioLum Bay in Fajardo. Any suggested itinerary to accomplish these 2 things? Our thoughts have been to stay At the Wind Chimes as home base and take tours, or wing it and stay overnight in Fajardo or near Luquillo Beach? Is it easier to drive from the airport to El Yunque, i.e. less crazy traffic going east, etc.? What are the plus & minuses of driving in Puerto Rico in this area? Our concern is the tours won't give us enough time and mobility to see & hike El Yunque. Is it feasible to hike El Yunque and see the Bio Bay in the same day or is that pushing it? Or better yet, do the Bio Bay Sunday night and hike El Yunque Monday. Are there any off days for these 2 attractions, i.e. closed on Mondays, etc.? I appreciate all feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance. sy

United States
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Hi SY, You ask many questions and I'm not a tourist advisor. However, in the spirit of helping and in case you don't get any other replies I must say that you should contact the Puerto Rico Tourism Company. They will probably can get you a more specific answer.

My two cents:

1) there are several luminicent lagoons in Puerto Rico, the most famous one is in Lajas, about 2 1/2 hrs drive from Palmas, were you plan to stay. Of course, any one of them will be interesting to experience in a good night. Not sure about schedules for the Fajardo one.

2) El Yunque is not necessarily a hikers place, it's a beautiful rainforest and like anything else its strengths are its weaknesses. The beautiful green and abundant vegetation makes it dangereous for adventurous traillers that go on wondering around off the main trails and get lost without a clue of where they are and which way is OUT. Soooo, visit El Yunque, enjoy its beauty but do not venture out of its main roads and principal trails.

3) Since you are a naturalist, sporty and like ecology; you might want to step out to the Camuy caves if you can accomodate it. On the way to them, traveling west from San Juan on hy 22 on the northern part of the island, you'll reach them in about 2 hrs from Humacao. The drive is very nice and you can observe Karst country on the way to Camuy.

4) Two other ecological attractions are "El Bosque Seco", the dry forest and El Canon de San Cristobal the San Cristobal Cannyon... isla de Monas is also an interesting visit.

Again, consult with the PRTC or call the hotel and get some advice over the phone. It could be enough for you to wing it on your own. Ahhh, about the traffic, its hectic at all day hours, but always worse going in the direction towards the San Juan metro (30% of population), than away from it. Do the bio first and the hiking later, you'll be less tired. Enjoy it, Manuel

New York City
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

We just came back from Puerto Rico. This is just a general comment and may not be the answer to your questions, but I'd like to share with you and others viewing this forum that our best experience was in Fajardo. The BioLum Bay was amazing. We went with Capitan Suarez ($35 p/p for 2 hours). He was very friendly and thorough with his explanation. We had a chance to swim and see the water glowing. We stayed at the new and cozy bed and breakfast - Passion Fruit. Gladys, the owner, was very accomodating and friendly. The rooms are nicely decorated in a Spanish style. She offers a great full breakfast not just the typical continental breakfast. Most importantly,very reasonably priced. Enjoy P.R.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

We've been to Puerto Rico many times and one of the best activities we did was the Catamaran snorkeling tour out of Fajardo. We went with Spread Eagle II but many catamarans leave from the marina and the sailing trip is similar. I am not sure of your interests but if you like snorkeling and sailing I think you should check it out.

CA
11 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Ricky B, Fjordstone, Beachlovers, SZ, Quito, MannyO & Fridak63 - Wow, thank you for all the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. Now, my only regret is we can't see it all in 3 days, but are still hanging onto RickyB's original suggested schedule for now with the little twist of the earlier flight. Appreciate the Tour info for the Biobay trips. That's the ultimate goal at this point. Cross your fingers for little to no moon on my 3 days : )

Muchos Gracias, sy

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

You will definately not want to go to the bay in Lajas (La Parguera) that bay is dying in terms of the bioluminescence because of all the pollution there. The best one to go to that would be near where you are staying is the biobay in Fajardo. The full moon cycle will not affect the dates that you will be town so the dark conditions will assist in seeing that bioluminescence. There was a post earlier stating that you should go with Captain Suarez but keep in mind that he operates a motor boat which actually pollutes the water and the air, not to mention that fact that it presents a danger to people going in on kayaks. There are plenty of tour operators that go in on kayaks but if kayaking is not your thing then you should try www.eastwindcat.com. They take you to Vieques where you can go into the bay via an electric motor boat and include a buffet dinner as well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

Just popping in to correct the URL provided by boricua35. It's actually: www.eastwindcats.com

I'm going with them for exactly the reasons boricua35 said. Kayaking is not my thing, and I don't want to go with a motorboat as it's harmful to the dinoflagellates (the glowing microscopic animals).

Have a great trip! I'm leaving in two weeks - can't wait!

Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

We just got back from PR on Saturday. It is possible to do the Bio Bay on Vieques. We used East Island Excursions. They leave out of Fajardo around 4:00 p.m. and return around 11:00 p.m. I would recommend booking in advance, as they only do them on certain nights. The tour includes your dinner, and this tour is a must see! We rented a car and did El Yunque on our own. The cost to get in is $3. Others that did the tour said that it was a big waste of money! My suggestion would be to definitely do the falls hike. The one to the top takes about 4 hrs round trip. The falls isn't as bad, but it is still a good hike. Wear your bathing suit, and take a towel, as you will definitely work up a sweat on the way back.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

scrapaholic, was that a kayak tour or a boat tour? If a boat tour, was it a motorboat, or an electric boat? Thanks!

Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

It was an electric boat.

California (STEVE...
1 post
Save Reply
30. Re: Got 3 days (Sun-Wed) - want to see El Yunque & BioLum...

I am also going to be spending a few days after a cruise in PR and want to see the same attractions. After hearing horror stories about trying to navigate PR maps and deal with PR cab drivers we booked a private tour guide Jorge Lopez that I found here:

http://www.puertorico-tours.com/

I found a recommendation on another forum and decided to give him a call and he has really impressed me with his knowledge of PR and his professional attitude. I am really looking forward to having Jorge show us around. Hope this helps.