We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Our first visit to Puerto Rico. Any suggestions or places to visit to make our anniversay special?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Visit www.gotopuertorico.com it could help you.

Puerto Rico has a lot to see and do. Look also at "Que pasa" is a small magazine for turism.

Good Luck!!

arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

We did our 1st trip to PR 4/22 thru 5/2. I depends where on the island you want to stay. Some suggestion are, The Carib Hilton, Intercontinental, El Conguistador, outside of San Juan-Dorarado-Hyatt.

I have heard that the west side of the island is very nice too. Hope this helps!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
314 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Hi have a look at RIncon. beautiful quite beaches, many guest houses, small Inn's, and even a high end luxury hotel on a very private level, fly direct to Aguadilla from JFK on Jet Blue for great rates. Be careful the summer can be busy as the Islanders's enjoy their beaches in June, July - mid August, but often crowd them.

Clinton, NJ
Level Contributor
183 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Happy Anniversary!

My hubby and I just spent 2 days in San Juan (pre-cruise) to celebrate my 40th b-day. We stayed at the Marriott, but talking to others and seeing the InterContinental and Wyndham in Isla Verde, I'd say that they are a bit nicer. If you are looking for something smaller you might want to check into the Numero Uno Guest House in Ocean Park (more below).

If you enjoy beautiful architecture and history, plan to spend a day in Old San Juan...it's truly lovely. We suggest doing the Night tour of OSJ with Debbie of Legends of Puerto Rico; it's a great tour and Debbie really knows her stuff.

El Yunque is beautiful, but finding a good tour can be a bit tricky. You might want to see if Legends of PR has anything available, but if not maybe try Castillo Tours. We did a 1/2 day tour with them and it was alright, but not outstanding.

If you're looking for a very romantic, rather exclusive feeling restaurant for your Anniversary, I'd say that Pamela's in Ocean Park (located in the Numero Uno Guest House) is the place. Call for a reservation and request a table on the beach...amazing!

But, above all, have a wonderful time together.

Interlochen MI
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

So many choices!! What fun to plan a trip....

Suggested places:

Old San Juan....you cannot beat it. Stay a couple nights. Architecture, history, beauty, fab museums, great dining, views. wow.

Island of Culebra...gorgeous, quiet (if you like that), excursions to other little islands, amazing beaches. Snorkeling! Romance! Sunsets! :O)

El Yunque...you have to go here, everybody does, but go in the earlier morning (9??) to avoid tour buses. Those folks deserve to see it too, but the early bird gets the worm, and quieter trails, too.

Bio bays! People swear by the one on Vieques, but Laguna Grande, near Fajardo, is fabulous too.

The countryside: Assuming you have a rental car, and you have decided to drive in PR, which is a real thrill ride, drive to the SW corner of the island....Boqueron Beach is BEAUTIFUL...you can kayak in Guanica....explore San German's old streets...it's so lovely down there....as much as we like Old San Juan, given a choice, we'd spend our time in the SW corner. Seeing as this is your first trip, maybe you can divide your time up.

Suggested OSJuan hotels:

Hotel El Convento...very well run, lovely courtyard restaurant, nice staff, $$ but quality all the way. Little pool on the roof! Good location.

Also, the Gallery Inn....old, quaint, beautiful...one of a kind...great locale. $$. Worth a splurge. They will sometimes upgrade your room if you ask. Breakfast included, or at least it was when we were there. We had the Nikko Suite. Major thrill.

SW Corner of the Island Hotels:

Guanica: Mary Lee's By the Sea. Ck out the website. Gorgeous little apartments, kayaks, ok swimming but near great beaches. OR

the Hotel Copamarina. This is $$ but unique, lovely beach, excursions, romantic. If we stayed in a hotel, this would be my choice.

Culebra: Villa Flamenco Beach (do not confuse with the next door Flamenco Beach Villas)....these are very clean, very simple, apartments, little pink building, only 6 units, on the most beautiful beach ever. Nice owners. (ask for Esmeralda or Max) Book early. OR you could try Club Seaborne or rent a villa or try Tamarindo...this is on a great snorkeling shore.

The El Yunque Area: Check out the website for Villas Sevilla.

There are other choices in the mountain area, but this one is supposed to be great....we have reservations there for next year, so you can tell us!!!

Lots of people stay on the Condado or Isla Verde and I'm not here to say they are wrong...there are some fabulous hotels. But the places mentioned above are a bit different. For most, you'll need a car, and the Culebra idea requires some ferry boating or an extra short cheap flight over (hence some planning)....but it's well worth it to try something a little different.

Have a totally fabulous vacation and happy anniversary!

Clinton, NJ
Level Contributor
183 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Boy, Beachlovers, where were you when I was planning my trip?!?! Great suggestions. I printed out your ideas for our next trip to PR! Happy travelling.

Interlochen MI
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

Thanks, pbjandthou, we've only been to PR once, last year, but we LOVED it. It's hard to explain to people why an island with big box stores and all the problems we have on the mainland can be so alluring, but we found it beautiful and very fascinating. Big thing was the people.....they were kind, responsive and had great pride in their home.

We have a plan to bring friends there next year, and cannot wait. Hope that you have happy travels too!!!!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

save

great list!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

For an anniversary, I highly recommend staying in Old San Juan at the El convento Hotel. It is one of the best hotels in Puerto Rico and is highly rated. It has old world charm (since the building is 400 years old) and will put you in the heart of the romantic old city with 500 years + of history. El Convento has great restaurants like El Picoteo and Il Perugino across the street and Patio de Nispero. There is so much to do and see in OSJ. There are museums, galleries, boutiques, world-class restaurants, historic sites and all within walking distance of the hotel. If you wish to go to a beach, you can take a short ride to Escambron Beach which is located in Puerta de Tierra, just minutes away. The beach has lifeguards and is part of the Blue Flag Program (Like its European counterpart the beach must meet high standards for cleanliness, eco-friendliness, facilities and beauty).

The website for El Convento Hotel is www.elconvento.com.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Our 1 year wedding anniversary

el convento hotel is very romantic hotel, if you can afford it try at least 1 night there