We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

My husband and I will be bringing my 80 year old, very fit and very spry mother to Puerto Rico for her birthday. A trip to this destination was the first trip she ever took-over 35 years ago. Since then she has traveled extensively. I want this trip to be special,as it will bring back old memories, but I don't want to break the bank. I was thinking of the ESJ Towers but heard they were shabby. Then I thought the Embassy Suites would be good as they have a made to order breakfast. I found out that it isn't close to the beach. Any suggestions?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,024 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

On a budget? Get away from San Juan. You can find many places from under 100 up to about 150 that are very nice. Including the Sheraton at Palmas Del Mar. Caribe Playa beach resort in patilas. Wyndham Rio Mar resort (a bit more), Fajardo Inn. The Paradors (Country Inns). When it the trip? High season, Low season? Rincon on the west coast is very nice. Want to do it up. The Horned Dorset in Rincon $260 a night but 5 star, summer rate. $700 during the winter.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

Considering that your mom is 80 years young, I would suggest you consider the Caribe Hilton Hotel. It has a private shallow beach perfect for morning laps, great pools, a short cab ride to Old San Juan and maybe you may be able to find a Seniors Citizens Discount.

upper marlboro, md
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

Caribe Hilton is a good choice. 4 pools, different depths, calm protected beach, so no worry of undertow, beautiful ocean views. The Caribe, at times, has expensive rates. Look for specials on the internet travel sites.

Sebewaing, Michigan
Level Contributor
381 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

All the advice sounds great. I found some pretty good rates on puertorico.bookit.com for last minute deals. If you book something that has a good cancellation policy, you might want to check it out a month or less before you go. It seems like they had nicer hotels with around $100 off per night. Spirit Air and Air Tran also had some good deals on Wyndham Rio Mar. I'm looking very seriously at Fajardo Inn.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

Why not a vacation condo? I booked one for next month for half the price of a hotel and we are staying directly across the street from the Marriott. We are up very high facing the beach and are paying only $650 for the entire week! They have a pool and excercise room. Go to vrbo.com and look around, thee is even two bedrooms available. this way you can have a kitchen to eat breakfast at your leisure not the hotels specific time for the "free" breakfast as well as other meals and save lots of $$$$$$.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

I don't know if you're insistent on beng in the San Juan metro area the whole time but unless that's essential I'd suggest getting away from the crowds. Highly recommend heading west to Isabella at the NW tip of the island (2 hour drive). We spent 4 nites at Villas Mar Hau in March and loved it. Very low key and deserted beaches. Definitely not luxury but very comfortable bungalows right on the beach and full of character. The surfers and kiteboarders were fun to watch and there are geat little day trips in the area to Areceibo and Rincon.

7. Re: Best hotel in Puerto Rico on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 16:16