We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on must see places

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
H.B., California
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on must see places

Just booked SJU today (we arrive Sat) I didn't have a chance to even do research, I am hoping you guys will help me out with things to do while we are there for four days. From there were heading to Barbados for two weeks. Two adults two kids 9 and 5. We will be staying at Hilton Caribe

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on must see places

Well, for at least a day or maybe 2 half days, take the bus or taxi into OSJ and check out the forts and other great kid-friendly sites like Pigeon Park, the Children's Museum, fountains kids can play in, flying kites on the lawn at El Morro. It gets very hot, so the kids might be better with just half days there and the rest of the time at the pool/beach! But you will really enjoy OSJ!

Rent a car for another day and drive out to El Yunque and "Hike" down to the waterfall. You can swim in it.

The head to Balneario Monserate in Luquillo. The beach is "closed" on Monday (no lifeguards/bathrooms/food) but you can swim there and it will be empty. On the weekend the beaches and El Yunque will be very busy.

Other fun things to do with kids:

BioBay trip

try snorkeling

Horseback riding (even the 5yo can try!)

For other ideas check out my travel site:

www.Puertoricodaytrips.com

Irving, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on must see places

Be sure to get a rental car. The Enterprise near the airport was very helpful. Driving anywhere in Puerto Rico is pretty close. Be sure to go to El Yunque (the rainforest.) You don't want to miss it!!

Also, try a snorkeling tour. We did an all-day snorkeling trip out of Fajardao with East Island Excursions. It was about $75 per person and it included lunch, drinks (sodas and rum drinks,) snorkeling gear and a trip to Icacos Island. We had a lot of fun! There may be a snorkeling charter out of San Juan--I don't know.

Luquillo Beach is supposed to be beautiful. We planned to go but never made it there. Everyone we talked to said it's one of the best beaches!

Have funnn!!!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on must see places

All of this is great advice! I highly recommend the El Yunque and swimming in La Mena falls. The hike is along a graded path and is pretty easy.

And a snorkling excusion to Icacos with East Island is a blast and money well spent. We did it last October. I also believe you can do the same thing on a power catamaran to Culebra. Nice snorkling! The kids would love the part of the tour that lets you off at Icacos, not sure if they would want to do the off-shore (deeper water) snorkling that comes next. They do have a alide off the back of the boat though!

Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on must see places

There is a lazy river pool and large water slide at the Hyatt Cerromar in Dorado. That's about a 45 minute drive west of San Juan. You can day passes to use these facilities, even if you are not a guest of the hotel. Ask the people at your hotel for details.

Out of the two forts in Old San Juan, our kids preferred San Cristobal, since there are more passages and crannies to explore. Adults may prefer El Morro, since it has great harbor views, but it has a really long steep set of stairs that will be rough for the 5 yr old.

FYI, the trail to the waterfall folks have metnioned at El Yunque is actually paved, and not too bad for the young crowd.

5. Re: Need advice on must see places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 06:18