We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worried abougt san juan trip

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
50 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
worried abougt san juan trip

After reading such mixed messages on the traveler reviews, I'm a bit worried about the fact that I'm taking my mom to San Juan the end of February! We are staying at the La Concha, A Renaissance Resort (owned by Marriott). We are renting a car and plan on several day trips. We will be there for one week. Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
La Concha Renaissance...
7,797 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Baltimore area
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

From what I'm seeing from the others Reviews, I would stay at Stellars instead. My friends and I are going in May, I'm undecided on Stellars or La Concha! But we do plan to party and from the reviews someone said that La Concha was for a young ,hip,chic crowd which is my friends and I, so If your mom is hip.... I say go for it, but if she's looking for alot of piece and quite I would go for Stellars!!!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

What are your concerns and what type of advice are you seeking?

california
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

I am in San Juan now (six day trip after cruise) and driving is very difficult here; and I say that after driving a great deal in Europe (including England) with no problems at all!! Have you thought about taking her on a cruise from here? The price can often be the same as a one week hotel stay and food is included. Food can be expensive in San Juan. Many cruise ships leave from San Juan; there were six in port in Old San Juan last night which made it very crowded. My family and I travel a lot and we have agreed that this is a place we will not go back to and we would not recommend it. Again, driving is really difficult here! If you come, you may consider tours or taxis.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,103 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

I don't think driving in PR is difficult. In San Juan, yes, but driving in any large, crowded city that you are unfamiliar with is difficult.

Once you get out of town, driving is fairly easy. Other drivers seem a little crazier than usual, but don't let them spook you.

Be prepared with a good map. Once you get into very rural areas, some roads don't have good signs, but most of the typical tourist spots are clearly marked, and Puerto Ricans are so friendly, and will be happy to help you.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

I think you are worried after reading the reviews about the La Concha Hotel.I also read them and it is not too positive.I think that if you have the opportunity you may look for another hotel.If not you should ask for a renovated room that is not too close to the pool area(maybe a higher floor)so you don't get disturbed by the noise of the pool bar.

If you are worried about driving in Puerto Rico,you shouldn't.Driving in Puerto Rico may seem chaotic,but is not difficult.If you drive in P.R. for the first time it may look intimidating but after a few hours you get use to it.Just drive the way you allways drive.As someone said before get a good map and you'll be o.k.

Don't waste your money in expensive tours.

I have driven in Europe for more than 10 years and i find driving here more difficult than in Puerto Rico.

First, here there is a lot of international heavy traffic(trucks,containers,tourist buses,campers,caravans)that makes driving sometimes very dangerous, second there are so many traffic rules that some accidents are caused due to people trying to follow the rules,and third if you don't have a good map or a navigation system you can easyly drive into another country.You won't have too much trouble with the last one in P.R.

A car is much more fun and you have the freedom to plan what you want to do in the spur of the moment.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
ymm
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

After seeing San Juan for the first time, I would say you should have no worries about the city. I am not familiar with the hotel, but I would say it is a bit difficult to drive. It's all a matter of personal opinion, but I generally don't like to rent cars in new places unless it is the US suburbs and we'll really need a car. Old San Juan is difficult driving with the very narrow streets and cobblestones and steep hills. Traffic itself is pretty heavy. Taxis are so easy to take from a hotel, and restaurants can call you a taxi after dinner.

This was our first visit and we love San Juan, the city, the food, the friendly and helpful people, and the amazing climate. We'll definitely return.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,103 Reviews
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

loi, this are the easiest days to drive around. As a matter of fact, school children are on Xmas vacations and the goverment employes are having a few days off. There is not so much traffic in the Metro area. What may confuse you is that the the new government ceremonies have taken place today and as a consequence, safety measures have been taken the last few days and cars have not been allowed to flow freely to OSJ area.

The streets in OSJ are narrow, so are the streets of hte samll towns in Europe. It's an anceient city and the streets were build for horses, not for cars. There is no option, we do not want to destroy historical buildings...

ymm
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

I completely agree that Old San Juan is historic and beautiful with its narrow streets. No complaints there, my only point was that I find it easier to take taxis, and if someone has any reservations about driving in a new city, they may also find it easier to avoid the hassle. If you do drive, park on the perimeter of OSJ and walk in order to enjoy the lovely streets.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,103 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

It all depends on the budget,the interests and what the traveller want to see in Puerto Rico.If you are planning "several" daytrips outside Old San Juan in a week period,and you have to take a taxi or go with a tour(for example to Luquillo and the Tropical forest)its going to be very expensive.

Renting a car is cheaper and if you have drived in any big city you can surely drive in Puerto Rico also.

If you are just planning to stay in the area of San Juan,Condado and Isla Verde and you can affort taking a taxi then go for it.

I don't recommend taking public transport this has deteriorated the last couple of years.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,103 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: worried abougt san juan trip

Don't drive in Old San Juan.Locals who work in Old san Juan don't drive there.They park their car in the parkings near paseo La princesa and Covadonga and take a free trolley to the Center of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California