We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
247 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

My friend from Kindergarten and I are celebrating our 30th b'days in PR in March. We are bringing our spouses and would like suggestions on things to do/places to eat. We are staying in the Dorado area. We have the Bacardi tour down, which I hear is free and the rainforest, which is $3 for parking (we did rent a car). We like to eat at old local "hole-in-the-wall" places. We would also like a nice place for one night for our celebration. We will be spending 4 nights in PR.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions!

newark, nj
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

I hear the Bacardi tour is not great.

I'm not familar with the Dorado area and I would recommend staying in the Condado or Isla Verde area instead as there is more to do. I think Dorado is more like a resort style.

If you are not tight on money I would take a flight to Culebra Island and Visit Flamenco beach

I would also try the Bio Bay tour instead of the Barcardi tour.

Mentioned in this post
Condado Beach
Condado Beach
1,180 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Isla Verde
Isla Verde
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,232 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

If you have a car it takes like an hour to drive from Dorado to San Juan.So this town isn't to far away from the city.I would suggest to combine the Bacardi Factory tour(that is also in the town of Cataño) with a visit to the city of Old San Juan.Drive to the town of Cataño(like a half hour from Droado) park at the ferry terminal there and take a ferry to Old San Juan.

The city is beautifull and has a lot to offer.

You can visit The spanish forteresses of El morro and San Cristobal,see the Cathedral of San Juan,walk along Paseo la Princesa,shop,ect. When you arrive to San Juan go to the tourist information center that is very near the ferry terminal,they can give you a list must see places.

The trip to Culebra is also a nice suggestion.

Flying to Culebra is expensive but worth the money if you have at least two days to spend there.You can also drive to Fajardo very early in the morning(takes like 2 1/2 hour from Dorado) and take a ferry to Culebra at 9:00AM.Come back the same day,or stay one night and take the ferry back at 3:00PM to Fajardo.Verify the ferry squedules in the internet.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,165 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

Yes, the Netherland friends comments have the correct info. Hi, this is Chef Norma Llop in Puerto Rico to the rescue .... not all of us are "fit to see interesting Bacardi Rum Plant". It's a little long in duration, so yes go, but without a fixed time agenda. After all, it's time to find out every aspect of our culture in the Caribbean. Rum world known to be a true "mix" of authentic historical background and practice in celebrations...it's your birthdates. Perhaps have your spouses stop at bakery or other rum cupcakes with candles for singalong Piña Colada or Cuba Libre after tour. Bacardi is also world's largest,so do not expect to have a tiny 30 minute plant route to celebrate such important date! Go on ferry (park car on the Cataño dock) boat to Old San Juan for a real "latino" lunch at any of the 30 some SOFO DISTRICT (So. San Francisco Street and Recinto Sur) and find that "hole in the wall" as menus are posted, leave the guys taking a second toast at Old Harbor Brewery, whre real artsianal tasting of local beers are possible, while the girls go for new casual dress or pant suit for the night.

Have the men carry on to find El Convento Hotel going up the streets. Have them go for local second, thirds, fourth and fifth rum tasting at Caña Rest. while girls return. Have them check out the hotel, andmaybe ask if a half-day rental can be done, to change and dress that afternoon. Dress up by 6:30PM

and go across to another "hole in the wall" a la español, for Flamenco (only Saturday at 7:30 PM) and go for tapas (small dishes)cuisine for a variety, and maybe a real Spanish Sangria. Take ferry boat before 10:00 PM (every 15-20 minutes) in San Juan Bay to return to Embassy that night.

If staying in Dorado, you are probably golfers/spa beauty lovers, and staying at Embassy Suites! Great all-suites hotel in that corner of the Isle. Culebra is beautifull but nothing to do other than kayac and watersports. It's quiet (my kind) and yes, search for my friend Chef Susie, anotther hole in the wall, but excellent fresh seafood cuisine. Susie's Restaurants is small, so do call her up. Sheé easy to find. Give my regards. Do be aware ferry boats with car needs reservations in advance boat is not big for many units)and people must stop in Vieques, so sharing the ride there first limits you. If I were you, leave car in Fajardo payed parking for an overnight stay minimum and rent a moped for you romantic couples. Make it fun but safe!

Let me know about your walks! Wrte to me via Trip Advisors, or chefnormallop@hotmail.com. Surely you'll return to Puerto Rico, again and again as there is so much to explore beyond the main island, outside San Juan. Sincerely, the Chef!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,165 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
2,846 Reviews
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Central Florida
Level Contributor
247 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

A quick thank you to all that have helped. We booked a trip to a biobay on an island off the east coast of the "mainland" thanks to a recommendation.

Y'all have all been so helpful.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

Be sure to set aside a 1/2 day or so to walk around Old San Juan. We love the colorful buildings and squares. Also if you happen to be there for breakfast or lunch try to go to La Bombonera for a delicious mallorca, pastries or fresh squeezed orange juice.

Here are a few photos of Old San Juan

www.familytravelfun.com/oldsanjuanphoto.html

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,165 Reviews
Puerto Rico
La Bombonera
La Bombonera
210 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Central Florida
Level Contributor
247 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

We do have 1/2 a day set aside for Old San Juan. We are doing the Bacardi tour then Old San Juan one day, the rainforest then the biobay excursion. Really looking for to our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,165 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

If you like "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants you should try Mi Casita in Isla Verde, its right across from Intercontinental next to Church's chicken. We ate there twice during our trip. Price is reasonable and the food is great. You should try the Beef Mofongo!

For a place to eat in Old San Juan we went to Cafe la Princesa. It's an open restaurant outside usually under the vines. I loved their pork chops!! The atmosphere is great, when I was there, there was a live band and most people were dancing! You should give that a try especially during a beautiful day!!!

And I agree with the Culebra trip. The water is beautiful! Although we sailed there instead of flying and that whole trip was from 8-4:30 with transfers from Isla Verde.

Mentioned in this post
Mi Casita
Mi Casita
1,324 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Isla Verde
Isla Verde
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,165 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

The biobay trip is fantastic. My 15 year old daughter was in the 'pilots' seat and I don't think I've laughed that hard in years (even though I got bonked a few times by her paddle). We also did a 'tour' through the rain forest and really regretted not being under our own steam. Our tour guide was a very nice man in his late 60's, who gave us a lot of fun anecdotal information, but barely let us hike, as he was not up to much in the way of physical challenge. If you do book a tour check the details on this aspect.

In San Juan I would recommend Pamela's for your celebration, relaxed but very nice food, right on the beach - definetly take a cab as its in a gated community (and make a reservation).

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Pamela's
Pamela's
446 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Central Florida
Level Contributor
247 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

Our Biobay trip is by Catamaran to Vieques that leaves in the afternoon and returns back to the mainland at night....it does include a stop for dinner on Vieques.

We are doing our own tour of the rainforest to keep it relaxed and fun...not to mention cheap!

Thanks for all of the restaurant suggestions...getting hungry thinking about it!

10. Re: Planning things to do/where to eat in PR.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 08:17