We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coffee, and other products

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
coffee, and other products

I am reading that besides rum, PR grows and roasts some very good coffee- is this correct? Is it grown in the rainforest? What is the blend or name of the best in the opinion of posters?

Also, does Puerto Rico make vanilla?

What is the recommended mosquito repellent-high percentage DEET or will Skin So Soft keep them away? Do we need repellent all day or just at night? Can we use anything in the biobay or rainforest if we plan on swimming?

Do we need anything for the tiny jellyfish or sea lice at this time of year?

Only 9 more sleeps until PR- getting anxious!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
297 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coffee, and other products

Coffee is definitely a product of PR, grown in the cetral mountains around areas like Jayuya and Maricao. There are "supermarket brands" like Alto Grande and Yauco, and there are also many smaller brands sold on a limited basis.

One website where you can get a look at a smaller brand is Hacienda San Pedro:

http://www.cafehsp.com/

We drove up to Jayuya and bought several pounds of coffee directly from San Pedro, as well as another purveyor in Jayuya called Tres Picachos. In my experience, these smaller brands have a superior flavor and aroma over the supermarket brands, but they are harder to find. I've also heard that the supermarket brands supplement their production of beans from PR with beans from the Dominican Republic.

I'm not aware of any vanilla grown in PR.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Jayuya
Jayuya
Puerto Rico
Maricao
Maricao
Puerto Rico
Yauco
Yauco
Puerto Rico
Hacienda San Pedro
Hacienda San Pedro
127 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: coffee, and other products

Coffee grows throughout the island (we have some growing in our yard), though the main areas of production are in the southern and western mountains. You can visit Hacienda Buena Vista for information on coffee production ... puertoricodaytrips.com/hacienda-buena-vista-…

Due to all the rain we had in December, the mosquitoes had been pretty bad until recently. We were actually discussing yesterday how there haven't been as many over the past couple of days.

The typically-available mosquito products, like Off, is all you'll need. My suggestion is to carry it with you and only apply if needed.

It's recommended to _not_ wear insect repellent into the biobay.

Never had any problems with jellyfish or sea lice.

75% of the world's vanilla production takes place on the islands off the coast of Africa. Most of the balance comes from places like Mexico, Indonesia and Tahiti.

I know that vanilla _grows_ here, as we have some growing in our yard (as part of our orchid collection ... vanilla is an orchid). But I don't think you'll find any major production of vanilla beans on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coffee, and other products

My favorite coffee from Puerto Rico is Alto Grande. I had some on my first trip there and I was hooked. It's a little on the expensive side to drink all the time, but nice to have for special occasions. It's also supposed to be one of the 3 best coffees in the world. I buy it online for just about the same price that it is in PR. Here is their website which will give you some info.

www.palastiendas.com/stores/garrido/index.asp

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coffee, and other products

Sorry---that should have been:

http://www.altogrande.com/display_page.php

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coffee, and other products

Start taking vitamin B a couple of day's bfore arriving, it repells mosquitos. Otherwise Off is great

washington state
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coffee, and other products

We are spending 5 days in Rincon at the end of the month. Does Alto Grande have tours?

Mentioned in this post
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coffee, and other products

Some very good coffe brands are Alto Grande,Castañer Supremo and Madre Isla.

You can use Off against mosquitoes but get the cream form.That's my favorite because it don't stink and spreads evenly.

There's nothing to repel tiny jellyfish or sea lice.

At this time of the year you see more jellyfish in the sea, so be carefull.

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coffee, and other products

Actually there is a product called Seasafe that is made for use by divers and snorkelers; I just don't like to use things that are not necessary. How bad are the sea critters during Jan?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: coffee, and other products

I am a big fan of Yauco Selecto Coffee. I mail order it so I can have it at home.

Vitamin B thing is not proven effective. Many say a myth. I think it depends on your body chemistry, so don't come without other protection if you choose to try that. But I never have found the bugs/mosquitoes in PR to be an issue. And bugs LOVVVE the way I taste! I think I left an entire pint of my O neg behind in Honduras.

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: coffee, and other products

They love me too and I have recently begun taking B12. I will pack protection, but generally it seems to depend on the weather as to how thick they are. Thanks!