We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
Level Contributor
299 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

I will be staying at the Caribe in Condado for a week, first time in PR. I was thinking of bringing my snorkeling gear, as it looks like maybe the beach area is kind of enclosed and calm. The Escambron municipal beach also looks like a possibility. Is there anything to see or should I just not bother bringing the gear, which takes up valuable luggage space? I don't think I want to spring for an organized tour, either. Probably will only have one completely free day, which we will spend on El Yunque/Loquillo. Any snorkeling near Loquillo?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

Unless I was going on an tour to another island, I would not bring my snorkeling gear for Condado.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

Actually there is a Reef for snorkeling right in frot of the Hilton. There use to be a Dive Shop at the Hilton which took people out to that reef. The Dive Master use to keep records of the Seahorses there.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

My opinion-

The reefs/snorkeling I have seen near SJ are covered with silt, so there is not a lot of beautiful colored corals etc. But there are fish.

We usually bring our masks/snorkels when we go to Escambron, just to see. There is always some fish, usually a barracuda or two. But the background is ugly silt covered rocks/coral.

Nothing really at Monseratte beach in Luquillo, but you can find something if you go in the Playa Azul area to the left.

But is it enough to justify using valuable space for your snorkel gear- no probably not.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

You could snorkell, but there would be nothing to see. You need to get away from the big island for the good snorkelling. I would just leave the stuff at home and do other things.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
299 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

Thanks for the honest advice. Since we're actually there for a conference and will only get chunks of free time here and there, I guess we'll just relax on the beach and sightsee in Old San Juan and See El Yunque/Loquillo if we get a whole free day. That will be plenty. Maybe snorkeling/nature stuff in somewhere like Vieques could be another vacation.

arizona
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

Excellent plan. Leave your snorkeling gear at home and have a good time.

7. Re: Any snorkeling at Condado beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:17