We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

DiamondGirl419
Level Contributor
20 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

Hey everyone!

I was doing a bit of reading about the trails into La Mina Falls....While I can do the descent, the return back may be difficult for me due to the stairs and my rheumatoid arthritis.....

Is it easier to take the La Mina Trail down to the falls, then take Big Tree Trail back to the road? I heard that Big Tree Trail is pretty much level. Since we will have a rental car, I can always send my son or husband to fetch the car. Are there benches to rest on any of these trails? Just wondering.

Also...since we will have a rental car, we do want to go into Old San Juan but take the trolley around once we get there. What is the best place to park the rental car?

Thanks so much for all your help...Our trip is really shaping up and we decided to stay in Rio Grande.

DiamondGirl419
Level Contributor
20 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

One other thing......what's the weather usually like in mid March? Is it less humid...just wondering

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

I didn't take the trail from the visitors center but we did walk the Big Tree trail this week to and from the parking lot. Whether or not it is more level than the other, I can't say (since I didn't see the other trail) but the Big Tree Trail is NOT level. There are some pretty good hills, especially going down at the beginning (which means you walk up on the way back)--probably not a problem for young people but for a couple of aging tourists it was "a pretty good hike." My tour book said it was .7 miles but it seemed much longer. There is a lot of up and down and steps here and there. It took us a couple of hours + to walk both directions but we took it slowly and enjoyed it. Take lots of water. There are a few benches along the way for resting. But you won't be able to send your husband to get the car. The falls is in the middle between the two trails and as far as you walk in, you will have to walk out.

You will need to park in one of the parking garages unless your hotel has parking. I saw a couple while I was there but can't tell you where they are. You won't want to drive there. The streets are tiny and the traffic is terrible and there is no place to park. We toured the island for a week but then turned our rental car in before taking a cab to our hotel in Old San Juan. We spent our last 4 days without a car and it was great! It was much easier to just take the trolley or a cab.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

You may park either at Dona Fela or at La Puntilla public parkings in Old ZSan Juan. The trolley can either be taken at any of the trolley stops along it's route or directly at La Puntilla Parking lot, where it's route begins and ends.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

First- weather is March is lovely- warm (low 80's, but warmer in the sun, less chance of rain and less humid than summer).

Second- El Yunque. Compared to La Mina trail, Big Tree is a breeze! La Mima trail is like 1 million steeps going down If you are ok with going down steps, it would be nice if you can do La Mina down and Big Tree back and have your son fetch the car. Of course Big Tree is not flat, but it is more sloping than steps. Only a few benches to rest along the trail, but you can always just step off trail and rest. Big tree is less used and a wider trail, La Mina is HUGELY popular and thin.

Third- OSJ. Depending on the day and cruise ship visitors, the trolleys fill up quickly. Since you have a car, you may want to park at the lot by El Morro (under the Totem pole statue) and then walk down hill. If the trolley is full on the way up, you can always get a cab at the Sheraton back to the car.

If you haven't read my reviews of the trails and OSJ sights, you can look at my travel guide to PR:

www.PRDaytrips.com

It has each trail of El Yunque reviewed and suggested walking tours of OSJ.

Have fun!

DiamondGirl419
Level Contributor
20 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

thanks everyone for the great tips!!!

Hopefully I will be able to do the falls...I may just end up taking the Big Tree Trail if it is under a mile.....I'll simply have to take my time...

As for OSJ....we'll make do with a cab if we have to..no worries...

At least it sounds like we are going to be in PR at a great time of year!

6. Re: El Yunque Trails and Parking to take Old San Juan Trolley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 06:17