We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

Can anyone verify this? Apparently all of the hospitals are jammed by this hesteria. Media is not reporting anything but the locals are walking around with masks on and hospitals are shut down due to overload.

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

May I ask how you heard this information??????

In my humble opinion, if it were anywhere near true, the media would be all over it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

Family members living in PR are telling me to cancel my trip. They indicated that schools may delay opening the first week of August as well.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

We had have swine flu in PR for a few months now. Same as in the States.

Lately, the local press has made a big deal out of it because we had some confirmed deaths (some of these deaths happened weeks ago, but have just now been confirmed!). These deaths were in individuals who were sick from other illnesses.

So NOW, people/officials are starting to care about it. People are being told to take precautions, so some are wearing masks, many are using hand sanitizers.

Whatever you do to avoid getting the flu in the States, you should do here. The Swine flu is all over the world now, in your home town and mine. Take precautions, but don't get crazy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

Ok, thank you for the update. I guess we will take our chances. My only concern is that should I need medical attention for something minor (ear infection) the doctors will be unavailabale. Really don't want to cancel, especially because American Airlines will charge $150 per ticket to reschedule.

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

This is an excellent site to educate youself on protective measures for any flu. Hand sanitizer is one of the most effective measures, especially on a plane. Use it after you return to your seat, as you have probably touched most every seat on the way back. I would take off to Puerto Rico tomorrow if I had a ticket-----no reason to panic.

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/

santurce
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

It is in the Spanish media now but the governemnt seems to have blocked information about it.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

the mass hysteria that has experienced Puerto Rico is due to the lack of info the people have gotten from their government, the lack of education, while other countries have been educating their people for months, here we have had no gov education plans.

the newspaper el nuevo dia reports 22 deaths that could be related to this virus, with the population density here, one of the largest per sq mile, this is very serious stuff and precautions are high

elnuevodia.com/asociana22muertesconelvirus-5…

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

Since we plan to be there in a couple of weeks, I am concerned. My son was very ill this winter/spring and his immune system got compromised. I'll make sure to bring Purell on the plane and carry it around.

That being said, here in Long Island, NY it was bad. Kids in school contracted the virus and it was kept quiet. My son (16) said if 3 or more kids in any given school contracted it, the school would be shut.

I guess it is like any other type of flu.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

I agree this is a serious thing to be aware but not to go crazy over.

The usual greeting here is often physicla such as a kiss on the cheek hello from woman to woman or man to woman and handshakes for men to men..I love that tradition however these days I am not so quick to give this type of greeting as before. But simple common sense here and anywhere helps to avoid coming down with colds, flus and this more virulent version as well. Def do not let it prevent you from coming here..it is the same everywhere.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swine Flu Outbreak in Puerto Rico

There is indeed an outbreak and it is official. The Govt. is taking the necessary steps and precautions as in the rest of the US. It is estimated about 400 persons per day will be infected, and about 2-4 deaths daily are expected until the situation gets under better control. Hospitals are working perfectly, but crowded, as expected. Tamiflu is being prescribed to all with symptoms, even if the tests come out negative (there is a 30% chance of false negatives). Yamiflu is beig distributed for free to all with a prescription and there is plenty in stock (over a million doses) The media is reporting all very responsibly and there is no histeria, exept by very ignorant people. There is always an exception. According to the CDC, Puerto Rico has a regional widespread, as the majority of the states in the US, nevertheless, the statistics at posted by the CDC are not updated, since they show no reported deaths in PR and the state epidemiologist has confirmed today a total of 26 deaths and some other 50+ related or suspected. This is out of a population of 4 million. Traveling to PR is up to you under these circumstances. There are no quarentine or any other carefew orders, nor are they being recommended for the moment. Locals are being told to try to stay at home and/or work as much as possible and avoid crowded places, especially indoors, and, of course, take the proper precautions to avoid getting it.