We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

We will be staying in San Juan for two days prior to our Princess cruise and a day after the cruise. Princess is suggesting either the Marriot Stellaris or the Sheraton Old San Juan. I think the main difference being one is on the beach and the other in town. How much would a taxi be to Old San Juan from the Marriott? I am open to staying at a hotel other than the Princess affiliates as long as taxi fare to pier/airport isn't going to be a big issue.

The two hotels mentioned would include transfers.

Beach and Old San Juan are both attractions for us so this is a tough decision!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

Taxi fares are set by zone. I think it's $20 but $1 per suitcase. If you stay at the Marriot Stellaris in Condado, you can also take the bus to OSJ. It is only $.75 but no luggage is allowed onboard.

Please click on the link to access the PR taxi website.

http://www.cabspr.com/

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

As you said, you were going on a cruise. I would not worry about the beach. You will have much nicer ones to enjoy, than a San Juan Beach. Stick with Old San Juan. It is unique in it's history and forts. Something you won't see on the cruise. In OSJ besides the Sheraton. There is a HoJo and the El Convento. The El Convento is a top notch hotel. Enjoy your trip. There is now a Segway tour in OSJ also. You might want to check that out.

Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

Thanks! Good point re: beaches....another question...we don't plan to do anything too physical in San Juan since we are travelling with my elderly mother...do you think two full days is enough time, not enough or too much?!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

One of the nice things about Puerto Rico is all things to see and do. If you rent a car, it will open up many things to do. The Rain Forest, Bio-Bay, Caves to name a few.

Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

If we were to stay in Old San Juan, would taxi to pier and airport be high? The Marriott Stellaris would include transfers for us but we would rather be in Old San Juan.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

Taxi fares are set by zone. Please see my post above.

Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

Appreciate the link to the taxi fares. I am looking at the Embassy Suites San Juan since they include a breakfast. Seems that a cheap bus ride or pricier taxi ride can get us to Old San Juan for a day of touring. Good TA reviews on this property too!

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

First price these and other hotels youself. Princess is in this to make money. Just figure about $20 for each cab ride. If you are at the Sheraton Old San Juan one of the piers Princess uses is within 100 yards of the Sheraton Old San Juan so no transfer is needed. If you stay at The Marriott there is a local bus which you can take to Old San Juan. Both areas are very walkable with plenty of nearby restaurants within walking distance.

9. Re: Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise hotel dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 04:19