We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Question - Hotel Conrad to OSJ

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Question - Hotel Conrad to OSJ

I posted earlier about staying at the Intercontinental and getting in a 10 mile walk heading east. We've moved hotels (as the pool is closed there) and are now at the Conrad.

We've visited OSJ on a cruise before and I *adored* the feel of the area, the forts, the shops and restaurants, etc.

I've plotted out a Saturday morning (8 am?) walk course that would get in a 10 kilometer walk from the hotel, over the bridge (Ave Doctor Ashford), up to Ave Munoz Rivera (to be close to ocean and the fort scenery), and down through town (past the Coach outlet for afternoon shopping...)

Back to hotel by going past the cruise ship docks on Paseo Concepcion de Gracia and back on Ave Fernandez Juncos (this is the part that worries me a bit, looks ship/dock area, a little empty??). I could head back to Ave Munoz Rivera too.

Is there any area there unsafe to walk through to/from the hotel? Any specific route to avoid? Saturday am should be a little less busy car traffic wise?

I'll finish up by heading east from the hotel and checking out the "strip" of hotels and restaurants. P.S. I used Google maps for the street names so I hope they are correct!

Thanks so much!

Strasburg...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Question - Hotel Conrad to OSJ

Your path is exactly what I'd plot for you as well save one recommendation. After you pass the main cruise terminal and the shopping area I'd head back North up one of the hills towards the back of the Capital and turn right on Constitution Ave instead of Fernandez Juncos. Juncos is fine for the most part but very nondescript while Avenida Constitucion is a bit prettier. By the way you could add some mileage (kilometerage?) in the New Millenium Park (Parque del Nuevo Milenio) on Munoz Rivera - neat park built 40 years ago for the Pan American games. Also be advised that Viejo San Juan has some decent hills (not San Fran) so that will add some exercise. And walk out onto the point at El Morro Fort for GREAT views!!!!!

Have fun!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Question - Hotel Conrad to OSJ

Woo Hoo! That is exactly what I needed - thanks so much!

Strasburg...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Question - Hotel Conrad to OSJ

Just thought of 2 little hidden gems for you on your "walk" through OSJ. As you come down Calle Cristo towards the Coach outlet you will come across the El Convento Hotel (which is a gem in itself!). If you follow the side street downhill it brings you one of the original city gates along with a great little walkway right along the lagoon with the city up above. Really neat little street. Then back on Calle Cristo just past Coach is a little "hole in the wall" bar (been there a million times but can't recall the name - Maria's I think). They will have a little sign out on the curb and they have a tremendous lime freeze - guaranteed to give you the dreaded brain freeze with or without the rum.

4. Re: Walking Question - Hotel Conrad to OSJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2010, 05:18