We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool Beach Bars?

wleasure
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cool Beach Bars?

My wife and I will be in San Juan next weekend and are looking for a cool beach bar to spend an afternoon at. Would be great if it was next to/on an amazing beach. Cheap beers, open air, sand on the floors, maybe some music.....

We are staying in Condado but have no problem walking a couple miles or taking transport to find a hidden gem.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

This will be our families 4th year to Puerto Rico. The 1st year we stayed in the Condado area. I know there must be a beachfront bar somewhere in that neighborhood, but we usually ate and had drinks at the small bars and restaurants in the area. Most of which are on Ashford Ave (I think) and are a block or 2 off the ocean.

In the Isla Verde area, we like to go to El Alambique which is in the main level of a condo bldg called the Raquetball Club. It faces the ocean and has a "patio" type seating. This is not fancy, it's kind of divey, but we love it. They have cheaper food, drinks, and a juke box.

Also in Isla Verde, there's a nicer beachfront restaurant/bar at the La Playita, which is also a small hotel. It's quite beautiful once you get inside. Nice seating and all open to the ocean.

When we were there last year, there was work being done on the Blue Dolphin which was closed at the time. It apparently used to be a beachfront bar that had been closed for some time. Maybe it's open now? It's also in Isla Verde.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

I seconf La Playita in Isla Verde. Great food too

wleasure
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

Thanks guys. Will definitely check out La Playalita......

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

I stopped by there on my last visit. Very nice little place. I also looked at one of their rooms. Basic, but immaculately clean, and very friendly people at the desk and restaurant.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

Do the hotels charge for using beachfront facilities?? We'll be staying in Old Sanjuan and I need to send my sisters to the beach while i'm off in the jungles. Thanks

Orlando, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

Borinquen Brewing company has been advertised as the only microbrewery in San Juan right on Isla Verde Avenue, has anyone heard if it is good or not?

7. Re: Cool Beach Bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 06:16