We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

I will be in San Juan from this Thursday (the 4th) through Saturday when my cruise leaves. I arrive around 1:30 Thursday and may be meeting friends for dinner that night.

Anything I should do? I am snorkeling on the cruise, so not concerned about that. Never been to PR before, and heard I should tour old San Juan - should I save that for Friday?

Saw a cool horseback riding adventure too, and like hiking and kayaking.

I'm not planning on renting a car, probably taxi or bus.

Thanks!

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

First where are you staying. Second for your full day why don't you rent a car and drive to the rainforest. (less than an hours drive). Much less expensive than a tour and doing it on your own is much easier and you can be a lot more flexable, The larger hotels in San Juan have rental cars there or nearby.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

I forgot to add that - the hotel is in Condado. I have no problems renting and driving, just heard that parking at the hotel is expensive, but if I return the car the same day, guess that's not a problem.

I'll just take a taxi to the pier on Saturday.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

You can tour the Old San Juan in half a day. Depending on what time you are having dinner, you could tour the OSJ on Thrusday afternoon. Or you could go early on Friday, have breakfast at La Bombonera (excellent coffee and pastries), tour the area and the forts, and have lunch at Cafe Manolin. That leaves most of the afternoon to do something else such as the rainforest and the the bio bay in that same area.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

As already mentioned Old San Juan is a must.

Also consider El Yunque rainforest, or Pinones or even. Bio bay trip if moon phase is right - check here for more ideas discoveringpuertorico.com/2010/…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

Tour Old San Juan and El Yunque. puertoricoistheplace.com/2010/09/trip-to-el-…

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

Toro Verde in Orocovis is a lot of fun

http://www.toroverdepr.com/

for lunch : fire-roasted pig in the mountain region of Cayey, delicious

…eyetour.com/whereToEat/cayey/24/guavate

Bio luminiscent bay in Fajardo or Vieques

Edited: 03 November 2010, 14:37
7. Re: 2 days in San Juan - pre cruise. What is a must do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 06:51
Get answers to your questions about San Juan
Recent Conversations