We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity cruises

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity cruises

Can anyone tell me which port/docks the Celebrity ships leave from? Not sure why I can't seem to find it in my searches.

Thanks!

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity cruises

Celebrity leaves from the Pan Am docks, across the harbor from Old San Juan. That being said you are a 5 to 15 minute cab ride away from any location in the San Juan area.

Oshawa
Level Contributor
305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity cruises

Which ship are you gettin' on? Summit or Millennium?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity cruises

my girlfriends and i are going on the summit march 2011..has anyone been before?

Oshawa
Level Contributor
305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity cruises

Hi.

We just did Summit last February, out of San Juan. I'll check this coming year's itinerary and let you know if it's exactly the same as we did.

Will be happy to try and answer your questions, if any pop up.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrity cruises

OffdutyOshawa....I know this is the San Juan site but you seem to have done a lot of cruises....would you recommend a Celebrity or Royal Carribean and what ship was your favorite. I am doing Puerto Rico in December but looking into a cruise from San Juan in February.....

Oshawa
Level Contributor
305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrity cruises

Hello my PA friends,

Let me start by saying how much we have enjoyed our visits though the beautiful PA countyside. We have friends in Dillsburg and Mechanicsburg, and even enjoy the interstate highway on the way down, as we find it quite scenic. A beautiful state.

Where do I start about cruising in February? It is our favorite cruise month, because our southern Ontario delivers the worst of winter in February. So we need to get out of town! We have only sailed on Royal and Celebrity. They are both fabulous. They are both owned by Royal Caribbean International, and you will enjoy the same level of service on board both, however, Celebrity caters to a slightly more mature crowd, and you will find less children on board. Celebrity tries to be the premium of these two lines, with some slightly upgraded features, such as a cocktail welcome aboard, and some other amenities. We have travelled with our adult children, and as a couple alone on both lines. Believe, me if you have children, they will be looked after well by the staff. But if you don't have children, you will hardly notice them on board either line, since there are so many children activities, and they have a separate area for their enjoyment.

We too have become San Juan fans, simply because it is much further south than Miami or Lauderdale - the other two big cruise ports of RC and Cel. Why? When you land in San Juan, you are already in the tropics, unlike Florida, where the weather is hit and miss. And the biggest reason is the better itineraries, in our opinion. From San Juan, one can sail quite far south, such as Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Tobago, in only 7 days. You simply cannot do that route in 7 days from Florida. The southern caribbean is so exotic, it is a treat. We've done the western caribbean, and will do it again from Florida, as we really enjoyed Grand Cayman and Cozumel, but for 2011, we are again heading out of San Juan and going to Aruba on Adventure of the Seas.

Food is comparable on both cruise lines. We find the quality is quite high. No disappointments there.

Evening dining experiences. Out of this world. This is a highlight of your day. Served a multiple-course meal by attentive wait staff and you will have some of the best meals ever. Both cruise lines know how to do this right.

Dining tip: DO NOT sit all alone by yourself as a couple. Allow the cruise line to seat you at a table of eight, with other couples. They intuitively seat you with couples around your own age, and perhaps mix up the nationality. We always, always enjoy meeting new folks from the USA, and other Canadian provinces. We strike up good friendships, hear great tales of their days events, and of their home, work or family. This is really fun. Don't be shy.

I hope certain people aren't reading this now, but we travelled with another 'family' couple whom we love dearly last time, and we - long time cruisers - wanted to mix into a large table to experience the fun of new conversations and meet new friends. Our 'family' didn't want that. They wanted to just sit alone with us. We let them 'win'. So we sat night after night, just the four of us. What do you think we talked about for 7 nights? The same thing, over and over, or at least it seemed to me. Previously, I've met a retired US Navy lawyer, a Texan who knows how to cook up steaks, a car business man from Edmonton Canada, an engineer from Idaho, and on and on and on. Loved it all.

Accomodation is equally good on both cruise lines. Of course the older ships are showing some signs of age. What else can one expect? When I looked in the mirror this morning, I noticed somethings had changed over my 50 years too. And the ships are not that old. But both are very, very clean. Your accomodation will be 100% more enjoyable if you get a balcony room. From your balcony, you can watch docking and sail aways while you are getting ready for dinner. You can have a quiet rest spot away from the noise or crowds and enjoy your afternoon coffee or a drink in privacy. And there is absolutely nothing like having early morning room service, hot coffee, toast, cereal or anything else you wish, while basking in the warm caribbean sun on your OWN balcony, while watching the blue-green ocean or the tropical port you are docked in. Then when you are ready to hit the day fully dressed, stop by the RC Windjammer buffet or the Celebrity Waterfall Grill and have another bite or two. [The free room service and balcony coffee is just to help you wake up and work on your tan - don't forget to tip the room service guy]

Get a balcony. Oh, did I already mention that? Pay the extra. Don't listen to the folks who say, "I only sleep in my room, so it doesn't matter". Get a balcony. Worth every cent.

Service is equally good on both lines.

Celebrity has her Summit sailing on two different itineraries in Feb. We were on her in February 2010 and enjoyed it. One of the things we have come to enjoy on the smaller ship like Summit and RC Serenade of the Seas, is the option of taking your breakfast or lunch out onto an open deck behind the buffet. If the weather is nice, you get to eat outdoors. Very pleasant experience, and also a great evening experience. You cannot do this on the larger Adventure of the Seas.

We really liked this 7 night Celebrity itinerary: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados.

Did I mention to reserve a balcony or veranda room?

If you ever get to Barbados, check out a place called, 'The Boatyard'. It's a great beach spot to spend the day for a low cost, and they provide free bus back to your ship. All the cruise staff go to The Boatyard when they are in town. Extremely dreamy beach and very relaxing and fun.

Royal has Serenade of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas sailing from San Juan in Feb. Been on them both - love them both. Serenade is smaller than Adventure. Both have their special features. Serenade is easier to get around, but still has all the amenities you love. Adventure is larger, has a centre promenade with a fabulous coffee/pastry/pizza lounge in the promenade. A must stop while on your evening stroll. It has an ice rink aboard with a must-see show.

Here's my best advice. Pick an intinerary and islands that you both want to do, instead of picking the ship. It seems that the marketing agents all want you to pick their ship because it is bigger, better, newer, etc. Phoooey. Your experience aboard will be great on both cruise lines and any of the ships at San Juan. Pick the route you wish to see instead. Look at the island excursions you wish to do. I can tell you that our favorite days were experiencing the snorkling, the catamaran cruising, the river tubing, the swimming, the beaches, the island tours.........we talked and laughed about it for hours. We didn't talk about how big the ship was or if it had a climbing wall or if the food was good. That's because ALL the food is good and so are the ships. In fact, it's great. All the ships are good. In fact they are all stunning. Go with the route and the islands and the best price you can obtain on either Royal or Celebrity, and you will have a blast. Right now, behind my home desk where I am composing this, I have a photo of my beautiful wife Jane and I on a Zip-Line going over the tops of the trees in the Antigua Rain Forrest, and we are laughing so hard, it's a wonder how we held on. I have a nice photo memory of that. I don't have a photo of the actual ship at that time. What does that tell you?

Who knows, maybe you will end up on Adventure of the Seas with us on February 13th? We will be the couple smiling big time, because we will be aboard a fabulous ship on the ocean we love - the Caribbean Sea - and every day will be a blessing and a treat. I'll be the one on the balcony about 6:00 - 7:30 having morning coffee and toast and cereal while my sweetie grabs a few extra winks. Get up so early? Why? Hey, why waste the day? I want the longest days I can get on my vacation!

Oh, did I mention that balcony and veranda rooms are pretty good on cruise ships?

I hope you will book a cruise and I truly hope that your experience will be good. Sometimes, folks need to just lower their expectations a little, not over-expect too much, and relax and enjoy themselves. I've seen some complaining, but honestly, it is rarely justified in my opinion.

See you on the waves!

Steve

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrity cruises

"Pick an intinerary... instead of picking the ship."

I can't agree more. Size doesn't really matter when it comes to cruise ships. The itinerary does. As a former RC crew member, I'll tell you this: the itinerary is so important, it even decides the menu. For example: the menu for Alaska cruises is more elaborate than the menus offered on caribbean cruises. It offers more seafood, more premium cuts of meats and more elaborate dishes.

My family lives in PR, and we have cruised on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. But this time we are ready for a different route. So we picked our route, and then the ship. It just so happens to be Freedom of the Seas, which is a bonus.

:)

Oshawa
Level Contributor
305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrity cruises

Hey Paris,

If you are a former RC crew, my wife and I say 'thanks!', because we have had such excellent service from your RC peers, and perhaps even yourself in past cruises. What a great gang of folks. Quality all around.

About beaches, while in St. Thomas, everyone raves about Magen's Bay, and we have been there and love it too. We've also been to Coki Beach.

But have you ever been to some other good or closer beaches in St. Thomas, and if so, what do you recommend for us to visit this February? My sister heard about one called, I believe Saphire Beach. Or what do you recommend, and how do you recommend getting there? Regular taxi?

I know that the crews know where best to go. We always had a good time with the crew at the Barbados Boatyard beach, so what do you think about St. Thomas?

thanks!

Edited: 22 November 2010, 21:06
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrity cruises

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy cruising with RC.

The position I used to hold onboard RC's ships works directly with the Captain and Chief Engineer. Some positions such as mine don't get to interact with the passengers in any way because such positions are in charge of everything necessary to keep ship afloat: navigation, safety, required paperwork, etc. To say that a lot of work takes place behind the curtains is just an understatement.

RC is a great company. I had a ball working for them, and I still miss it every day. As a regular passenger now, I can't imagine cruising with another line.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrity cruises

We did the Summit in Feb.-March 2008 and going back in Feb-March 2011. You can't go wrong with Celebrity. 2 years ago we stayed at Holiday Inn Express (Condado). We will stay at Hampton Inn (Carolina), because there is a nice beach.

Enjoy your vacation!