We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Layover

Indianapolis...
4 posts
Save Topic
Airport Layover

We have a 4-5 hour layover at SJU, is there time to go out and see anything or are we stuck in airport?

Thanks for the help.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Layover

It depends on the following factors:

1. When you say "4-5 hours", is that the time left after deplaning, and not counting the 1.5 hours required to be at the airport? If yes, then please do go out and explore! But if the answer is no, then I would not recommmend leaving the airport. One traffic jam (which are common in PR) can cause you to miss your flight.

1. What day of the week? If it's during the week, then you might have a shot. But if you are traveling during the weekend, then you're probably better off staying at the airport because the cruise traffic causes long lines at the security check point.

Those 2 factors go hand in hand. Some may encourage you to leave the airport. Personally, having been a Flight Attendant for 8 years, I would never recommend risking a flight because of the limited seat availability at popular destinations such as San Juan, and rebooking fees. The final decision however, is up to you. Use your judgement.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 16:29
Indianapolis...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Layover

We arrive at 10:30 am and leave at 3:30pm on a weds.

Thanks.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Layover

You are about a 15 minute cab ride from Old San Juan. Allow 30 minutes for things that may come up each way. Arrive Old San Juan 11:15 am, have lunch, walk around. Take cab back to Old San Juan at 1;15 pm. Arrive at SJU at 2:00 pm 11/2 hours before flight. Enjoy. If your plane is late getting to SJU recalculate or punt.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Layover

If you are allowing 1 and half hours for security and boarding the second plane, then you probably only have about 2 hours. I wouldn't chance it.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Layover

If your flight arrives on time, then I would definitely do it...as thorntree wrote allow 30 minutes each way - I was caught in a jam on a saturday and it didn't take any longer than that on a saturday. Even just two hours of OSJ is way better than sitting in an airport for 5 hours..I'm way too familiar with that. That will give you time to get lunch and walk around briefly. Maybe get suggestions for lunch, tho, so the cab can take you right there and you don't waste time wandering around trying to figure out where to eat.

And since you will already be checked in for your flight, an hour and a half seems like more than enough time at the airport.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Layover

if you land at 10 30, youll get your bags and be in a cab by 11 30. in osj by 12

60 to 90 minutes to walk around

cab it back to sju by 2pm

or go to pinones

maybe to plasa las americas if it is midweek.

but you will have to keep it short

7. Re: Airport Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 06:57
Get answers to your questions about San Juan
Recent Conversations