We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation in San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Nebraska
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Transportation in San Juan

Hello All! I am currently planning a May 2011 honeymoon to San Juan. We will be arriving on Monday, May 9th and leaving on the following Sunday (the 15th). We are staying at the Courtyard by Marriot in Isla Verde. Since we have booked, I have been on TA at least four or five times a week researching different things to do!

My fiance & I are not renting a car (we've heard driving in San Juan can not be fun) and we want to explore the city (especially Old San Juan) on foot. My questions are, if we decide to take the city bus (from our hotel to OSJ) do the bus drivers speak English? Is there a certain bus we should be taking to get us to OSJ? How early/late do the busses operate?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure you will be seeing lots more questions from me! We are SO excited about visiting PR!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation in San Juan

Here is a link from TA and it happens to be from Courtyard by Marriott:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147320-i72-k39133…

I haven't taken any bus lately, but many speak english (not perfect) to include trolley drives in OSJ.

On the last post there is a link where it tells you which bus number you needand bus stop (parada). I think is A-5. BTW the concierge (Mattiot) can tell you what bus to take as well. The price is 75 cents PP one way. Buses (AMA) runs from 4:30am to 10pm. Trolleys(OSJ) 6am to 10pm. Waiting time normally is about 20 minutes but it can go to one hour. Take a back pack with some water because it gets hot during daytime and confortable shoes. Take the bus all the way to the OSJ ternimal. There is a trolley stop (parada) right outside

You can board the bus to the other side towards Pinones. Here is the link:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/pinones/

I strongly suggest to rent a car for at least two days and head to Fajardo and take the ferry to Culebra. Flamenco beach is rated among the best worldwide according to many travel magazines. Its even here posted by TA. You can't miss this golden opportunity. Here is a good link:

www.puertoricodaytrips.com/flamenco-beach/

Parking is around $5 and about $4PP one way. You have to go very early to catch the first trip.

Here is my comment as far as driving into OSJ. If you venture to drive into OSJ then is not fun since traffic can be chaotic. The best way to beat the traffic is park by the multilevel parking complex (Park in Dona Fela rates are cheaper) and then stroll into the streets of San Juan.

Courtyard is on a nice location. The beach is nice, but definitelly not comparable to Flamanco. Consider renting a car. Welcome to our forum.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation in San Juan

I have read many comments that busses from Old San Juan are nonexsisting after 8 pm. So don't waste your time. To return you can just take a taxi for $ 20.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation in San Juan

the last bus runs at 930pm

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation in San Juan

Hi lyndsi, Taking the bus from Isla Verde to Old San Juan is an interesting and pleasant experience. It winds thru a lot of areas that you would not see otherwise. But, for some reason getting into Old San Juan is easier than getting out, so I suggest that you take the taxi back, even if the buses are still running. From the Courtyard you can walk to the Ritz, and the other Isla Verde hotels. There are plenty of restaurant options and excellent nightlife at the El San Juan. Again, however, once it gets late take a taxi back to the Courtyard

5. Re: Public Transportation in San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 05:54