We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic dinner suggestions

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic dinner suggestions

We are staying at the Marriott San Juan after a week on a catamaran in the Grenadines.

We are looking for a restaurant in the area for a romantic dinner to celebrate our anniversary and would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Try Marmalade: It truly is a great experience both for your palate and for a romantic dinner. Marmalade is in Old San Juan on Calle Fortaleza. It is a international creative cuisine type of restaurant. The chef is from New York and creates amazing dishes, things I have never tried before and I am from New York. He is an absolute genius. He is also the owner of the restaurant and takes great pride in his food, facility and really caters to the needs of his guests.

Make sure you call for a reservation, and when you do, make sure to mention that you are celebrating your anniversary. They will set you up on a really nice table. I won't tell you, it's a surprise. I also recommend trying the four course tasting menu. It is a great amount of food and you will be blown away. You get to choose right from the regular menu, it wuld just be a smaler portion for each course. Also, if you mention that you are allergic to something or that you hate eating (mushrooms for example) he will make sure that he does not use that particular ingredient on the surprise dishes that he brings out to you during your meal. He likes to throw extra little surprises for his guests. Enjoy your romantic dinner. I say, if you were to pick one place to have that one special dinner during your stay in PR this would be it!

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Thank you for the suggestion.

Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Marmalades was an amazing experience, the food is superb..

Make sure you ask for a 'romantic table' in the alcove.. and go for their sampler menu..

We went last year pre-cruise.. met some friends there ( a surprise for my hubbies 50th) and we will be there again in 2 weeks.. booked the table 2 days ago !!

Can't wait!!

Another nice place to go one evening ~ for tapas is in El convento hotel.. nice setting..

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Thanks for the additional feedback.

Does anyone know the dress code for Marmalade? We will be on a catamaran for a week prior to our stay at the Marriott and are trying to pack as little as possible. My husband would be thrilled if he did not have to pack long slacks for this trip. Could he get away with dress shorts?

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

We have sent an email to the restaurant but havent' heard back from them. Hoping that someone here can help with the dress code - thanks.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Dragonfly in the Old San Juan and Pamela's (dinner on the beach) in the Ocean Park/Condado area are good options.

San Juan
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Yes he can go with dress shorts and a nice polo to Marmalade. Hands down the best romantic restaurant.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

Thank you both for your help. We also have a night in San Juan pre-cruise so the other suggestions are helpful.

We also greatly appreciate the feedback on the dress shorts. The menu at Marmalade looks phenomenal. I am excited about the "surprise" that may be included. What a great way to celebrate our anniversary (haven't told the hubby about this yet ).

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Richmond
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

We just got back from San Juan yesterday and had dinner at Marmalade on Monday night. Hands down, one of the most delicious meals we have ever had. Yes, wear your nice shorts, no worries. Now listen....do not leave there without getting the white bean soup. It is their specialty. How good can white bean soup be, you ask? Just get it and you can thank me later. The ambience and service are top-notch. You'll love it.

10. Re: Romantic dinner suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 13:16