We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hitchhiking?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hitchhiking?

What's the San Juan hitchhiking feel? Creepy, like in main-land U.S.?

I only ask because I had a lot of fun doing it in Martha's Vineyard this summer and wondered if anyone else had experience?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hitchhiking?

Not a good feeling I suppose beings that it's very dangerous.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
498 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hitchhiking?

I'm 28 years old and have lived here all my life and have not once seen a hitchhiker.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hitchhiking?

In this day and age, it shocks me that anyone would consider it. There is increased crime just about everywhere and too many crazies out there.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hitchhiking?

wtf?

well, if you had no other choice than I'd guess I'd take a chance.

I have HH in a snow storm in the country in southern pa once or twice, and I do pick up people once in a while.

Sort of like poking a hornets nest if you ask me.

Medford...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Hitchhiking?

too bad! I just linked here from google because I'm headed to San Juan, won't have a car, and have read that public transit to the rest of the island is underdeveloped and extremely time-consuming.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hitchhiking?

"have read that public transit to the rest of the island is underdeveloped and extremely time-consuming."

Huh?? PR is certainly NOT underdeveloped. Besides, PR is only 100 x 34 miles. How in the world is that "extremely time-consuming"? One can drive around the entire island in less than 12 hours! Please do your research before you post.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hitchhiking?

He said "public transit to the rest of the island ..."

And I agree with him.

Using a taxi outside of the metro area is extremely costly.

Otherwise, "public transit" here means "publicos" (or "guaguas") ... which are cheap, but can be time-consuming for traveling long distances (due to frequent stops and transfers), unreliable, and ... yeah I'll say it ... under-developed.

True that the island is 100x34 miles ... but driving that 100 miles can take 3 to 4 hours ... not 90 minutes like you'd expect in the States.

The only reasonable alternative (considering time, money, reliability and flexibility) for traveling "out on the island" is a rental car.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hitchhiking?

Perhaps it was a bad choice of words. When I hear the word "underdeveloped", I think of unpaved streets and such. PR is not "underdeveloped". I can only guess that trains would put the island on "developed" status but then again, which caribbean island has them??

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hitchhiking?

"I can only guess that trains would put the island on "developed" status but then again, which caribbean island has them??"

There are plenty of major, developed cities in the states that lack trains. Puerto Rico reminds me a lof of Detroit in that, if you don't have a car, it can be difficult to get around. However, the taxi situation in San Juan is much better than we have here.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hitchhiking?

OK....

First you do see "Surfer-Hitchhing" here in Rincon and the surounding areas. Surf Board in hand, safe-good to go. I have seen a few Hitchhikers in San Juan, although IMO Not so safe.

Second, we DO have a train that runs from Bayamon-Rio Piedras-Hato Rey. The train is for locals to travel to/from work.