We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
68 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Is walking from the cruise terminal to El Morrow possible? I think the cruise charges $35 or so for this tour, but I would rather do it on my own. Please let me know if this is possible. Any other tips for fun things (I like active things) near by would be great. Thanks!

Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Jerrys Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
De Tour Con Ali
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

From the Old San Juan piers yes it's possible I do it all the time - just remember that it is an uphill walk

The good thing is - on the way back it"s downhill :)

Other option would be to catch the free trolley that goes to El Morro - but it is not quick and sometimes it is hard to get on one as they ate usually pretty full

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Yes, you can walk the uphill streets to El Morro. When you do your own tour, keep an eye on the clock....you do not want to miss your cruise.

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
431 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

can you give me the route of the free trolley. Not heard much about this in other forums, love to hear.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Unless you are very old or handicapped, you can do the walk from the terminal to El Morro - It's a beautiful place to walk around... give yourself some extra time to meander, stop for a drink or snack and break up the walk which is 20 minutes tops??? its a really small place....

the trolley kind of looked silly

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

@ilanastone ... there are a couple different trolley routes in OSJ, all free. They run continuously, but oftentimes, you'll find that they are full. Sometimes it's quicker just to walk (if you're able to that is). You can find more info about the OSJ trolley system, including a route map with the stops, in our blog .... puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-…

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Not sure what's happening with the trolley at the moment, Last 2 times I was there on a weekend (just recently) seemed to only be TWO trolleys running - needless to say it was almost impossible to get on

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Walking!!! Unless for some physical reason you cannot/do not want to...is the best way to go. Seeing the sights along the way, poking into different shops if desired and sampling some food treats if you care to as you wander..it is easy, maps are readily available for the streets of Old San Juan at the tourism office just outside the pier. They have a walking map pocket size that is fun and easy to carry/use. There is alot to see and enjoy walking in OSJ and the El Morro is an easy distance despite being uphill especially the last block or so.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Yes you can make it but remember you have to do a lot of walking for the tour and then walk back to the ship. I'd take a taxi up to El Morro and walk my way down.

Suggestions:

Take a taxi to El Morro, do the tour on your own and while going back to the ship:

Visit Iglesia San José the second oldest church in the New World, with Plaza San José on its side, where a statue of Ponce de Leon stands, made by melting British cannons after an invasion;

From Iglesia San José stroll down Calle del Cristo down to Capilla del Cristo at the end of the street with Parque Las Palomas on its side where you feed the pigeons and take a rest. while walking down the street, you can:

Visit Hotel El Convento on the right of the street it used to be a Carmelite convent and has converted to a hotel in the 60's, it's lovely, maybe you can have a drink at its bar.

A few steps away on the left side of the street is San Juan Cathedral, Juan Ponce de Leon is buried there, after his body was transferred from Iglesia San Jose you saw up the street.

Catch a glimpse of La Fortaleza, the governors mansion, about a block before arriving to the end of Calle del Cristo to the right, at the cross section with Fortaleza street. (oldest consecutive used governors mansion in the Americas, first used as fortress where the Spanish kept the gold taken from Mexico while waiting to be taken to Spain);

Good for sightseeing Paseo La Princesa, La Rogativa, and Puerta de San Juan.

Hoave fun!

BEWARE:

Calle del Cristo is good for shopping specially the Polo Outlet

Fortaleza Street has a lot of jewelry stores - excellent quality and prices

Rio Grande, Puerto...
Level Contributor
290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

Also be sure that you know which pier you will be docked at, because some cruise lines/ships will dock across the bay from OSJ and you would need a taxi from there.

10. Re: walking from the cruise terminal - El Morro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 03:15