We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boxing in San Juan

cleveland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Boxing in San Juan

Hi there -

I'm going to San Juan in December for the first time ever. I'll be with my best friend. We're two single 30 yr old women looking forward to experiencing the PR culture. My friend's not so much a sports fan, but I happen to love boxing. Is there somewhere in San Juan to watch live matches, either amateur or pro?

Also, any suggestions on spots we should hit up at night? I've read some good reviews on Plaza Mercado (think that's what it's called) at night. We're looking to mingle with locals without feeling completely out our element at the same time.

Thanks!

San Juan Snorkel and Picnic Cruise
707 reviews
from US$83.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$66.50*
US$95.00
Old San Juan Walking Tour
202 reviews
from US$40.00*
Old San Juan Food Tour
269 reviews
from US$92.19*
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boxing in San Juan

Boxing is one of my favorite sports. La Placita is one of the places that watch boxing live, but its early to say now, is a bit early because they announced when they offer it pay-per-view. Also a gtreat place to mingle with locals. May be you might have a chance to go live boxing. H2 Promotios (Miguel Cotto), Golden Boys, some others, and Puerto Rico Best Boxing schedule fights around the island, so I have to check the schedule. Sometimes PR amateur federation also have a program, not sure if is out. Puerto Ricans love boxing, so most likely business will be open for that.

Any ideas which week you be in San Juan? You will enjoy some cultural experience since is Christmas, and is a bit different. I expect the municipality of San Juan announce some activities during that time soon.

cleveland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boxing in San Juan

Thanks so much for the feedback! We're going to be there from Dec 4th thru the 9th and staying at the Marriott. I'm excited now - would be great to mingle with the locals and catch a match or two. Up here in Cleveland, UFC is what's big, but I enjoy good old fashioned boxing - which seems to be pretty popular in PR.

If there are any Christmas related festivities we could take advantage of too, that'd be wonderful. Like I said, this is our first time there...we want to do some of the typical touristy things like visit el Morro, but we really want to experience the culture and stay away from some of the main stream spots. We'd like to find some nice local cafes, shops, and bars instead of going to a commercialized place that we could get up here.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boxing in San Juan

In the Marriott they alway's have a beutifull Gingerbread Village on display during Christmas season

cleveland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boxing in San Juan

That sounds lovely! I cannot wait for vacation!

= )

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boxing in San Juan

There are many things to do, check the website below:

puertoricodaytrips.com/guavate-lechon-and-mu…

Been long time for me, but this is part of our culture.

Another place is Pinones. here are the website:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/pinones/

Uff you going to miss Margarito,/Cotto fight, is on the 3rd, for sure, tons will watch that one. Normally promoters announce the fights about 2 or 1 1/2 month in advance for local fights. UFC was in Puerto Rico not too long ago.

Will post if any fights are schedule, and festivities. I think SMS posted schedule from last year, so she might post later.

cleveland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boxing in San Juan

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! Really liked the article on Pinones - sounds wonderful! Definitely going to check into the boxing, especially once I get closer to my trip.

Thanks again for your tips!

= )

7. Re: Boxing in San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 06:16