We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

Four of us will be vacationing in Puerto Rico from next Saturday October 7th through the 15th. My wife and I have been to the island many times but this is the first visit for my brother and his wife. We’ll be staying on the east coast near Humacao.

We want to spend one day is OSJ doing the standard tourist stuff plus dinner. My current plan is to go there on Sunday, the 9th. My thought is that the streets will be livelier, more activity, local residents will be out because it is Sunday versus going there during the week. Is that right? Or, are there reasons why it’s better to go to OSJ during the week.

Also, how will the Columbus Day holiday affect things in general in Puerto Rico? Is there anything we should be aware of on Columbus Day as a U.S. federal holiday?

Thanks.

Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Jerrys Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
De Tour Con Ali
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

In my experience OSJ is very slow to wake up on a Sunday. Especially if there are few or no cruise ships in port. The long weekend holiday may be one more reason for some businesses to take a couple of days off and go to the beach. As usual, Federal offices will be closed on the Monday holiday.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

Thanks. I think we'll move OSJ to Friday. Should be livlier then.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

I love to go on a Sunday because they have the local Artists selling their goods and live music at the Plaza. Sunday is like a Family day and it's alway's busy, Cruiseships or not

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

DO GO SUNDAY!!! We always do and it is the best day to go, in my opinion. Do not miss the brunch at St Germaine, a local favorite and a great bistro! Marshalls store and other are open and you can do last minute and all sorts of shopping. Paseo la Princesa is alive and... well... just go!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

You do NOT want to go Friday--- aghhhh!!--- the mess, the traffic, the TGIF rush attitude is not a nice one!!! You will hit the worst traffic of the entire week. Again, when in Rome.... Locals avoid tourism at OSJ during the week. Sunday isTHE local tourism day for us locals at Old San Juan.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

Almost any day/night the cruise ships are in is good. If cruise ships are in port, yes, it is "busier" with people,but the artisans are set up.

Sunday has the cruise ship (so lots of artisans) plus, a number of places have live music.

I just don't go on a Monday- most of the museums are closed.

7. Re: Old San Juan on Sunday or during the week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 00:19