We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at La Concha

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hopkinton
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at La Concha

How is the Beach at La Concha hotel in PR?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at La Concha

It is ok- not the best in PR or the area, but fine. Nice sand area. It can get a little rough depending on weather conditions. It is seldom a calm beach, but usually you can swim and the waves are not big, again, unless the wind and weather dictate otherwise.

Hopkinton
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at La Concha

Okay. Thanks. Are there other nice hotels with better beaches that you would recommend?

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at La Concha

Isla Verde has the nicest beach of San Juan. It is a beautiful calm swimable beach. Good hotels with the best locations are the Intercontinental and the San Juan Hotel. Good beachfront vacation rentals next to these hotels are Coral Beach, Marbella del Caribe and ESJ.

Isla Verde is only 10 minute drive to Condado. Although Condado is quite nice, its beach is rough and has undercurrents. I personally would not go past the shore.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
498 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at La Concha

I can't predict the future but, looking out my window at work right now and it is nice and calm in Condado

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at La Concha

I agree with MIAACM. The "nicest" beach is actually Isla Verde as mentioned. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Condado a 7 minus, or 7 at best, in another words ok beach, and Isla Verde about 7 plus, kinda nice, assuming there is no rain, and dry. Trying to give a better picture of what to expect on San Juan beaches. San Juan beaches are better described as cool urban beaches.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at La Concha

On a calm day the La Concha beach is better then Isla Verde because the water is very clear where as Isla Verde beach is almost always calm but murky..

Problem is it's not very often that the Condado (La Concha) beach is calm.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at La Concha

The waves are strong and you may get an undertow. I would not feel comfortable unless I am a good swimmer.But it's pretty on the beach there and the Hotel is very nice

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at La Concha

About 15 years ago, I personally witness someone at this beach fighting against the current while the current kept taking him toward the rocks, he kept fighting for more than an hour and many tried to save him, unfortunately he drowned. This happened at at time when the waves looked harmless, but as Bunny mentioned this beach has an undertow. This was a very traumatic experience for me. La Concha Hotel is very beautiful, but please be carefull at the beach.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at La Concha

I do not want to scare you, but the truth is that the beach at La Concha has undercurrents that make it somewhat dangerous for people that do not have good swimming skills. If you do not swim do not take it lightly... stay close to the shore. Last year there were around 3-4 emergencies in that beach.

Safe travels!

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at La Concha

Personally, I think you are a great swimmer so don't be concerned about the rough surf!!