We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Trip Suggestions

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
January Trip Suggestions

I'm traveling to PR in January with my wife and a 1 year old for the 1st time. I'm staying in Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort for 4 nights.

I haven't completed my itinerary. I have the following questions:

1. Where would be a good place for Snorkeling?

2. Where would be a good place for Jeeping?

3. Where would be a good place for kayaking?

4. What should be my top 5 things that I should make sure to do in PR?

5. Should I rent a car?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: January Trip Suggestions

(1) Take a trip with one of the catamaran companies that go out of Fajardo and go to Icacos or Culebra.

(2) What is "jeeping"? Do you mean off-road 4x4? Don't think we have that here.

(3) Humacao Nature Reserve

(4) We've written a "top 10" article in our blog, choose things from that list ... puertoricodaytrips.com/top-10-must-see-do/

(5) Definitely rent a car.

Hope this helps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: January Trip Suggestions

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate the advice and experience.

By Jeeping I mean ATV.

Wouldn't you suggest that I should rather kayak in a Bio Bay instead of Humacao Nature Reserve?

What is so special about kayaking in Humacao Nature Reserve?

I have never been to a rainforest. Do you think it's wort the time and effort to to El Yunque National Forest?

Where would you suggest to do horseback riding?

Thanks.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Trip Suggestions

Yes, rent a car.

The Humacao Nature reserve has nice, peaceful, calm water kayaking for day time. If you like kayaking, it is nice. Of course you can kayak in the BioBay with a group. It is kayaking in the dark, with lots of other people. But you do get to see the Biobay, which is a must do experience.

ATV- there are a few places to ATV on the island- in Carolina, Luquillo, or Cidra. All are with a guide.

Sure, while you are in PR, visit El Yunque. From the Rio Mar it is like 5 mins (not that much time or effort). We don't have any rain forest animals that some people expect, but we have lots of green and a number of waterfalls and some awesome views.

There are a lot of horseback riding places all over the island. Some do forest trails, some on beach, some on roads, some take your horse swimming in a river. Where kind of depends on what type of horseback experience you are hoping for.

And of course, all these it depends on how far you want to drive and what you plan on doing with the baby when you do these activities. Some trips have options that will suit a baby (one horse company has a horse drawn carriage and the electric boat option for the biobay will allow the baby).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: January Trip Suggestions

Which horse company has a horse drawn carriage for a baby?

Whom would you highly suggest for kayaking, ATV and Snorkeling?

Thanks.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Trip Suggestions

Kerry at Horseback Riding PR has a horse and carriage that he can take people who can't ride. Here is our review:

puertoricodaytrips.com/horseback-riding-pr/

For kayaking- in the biobay and in Culebra, we really enjoy Kayaking Puerto Rico.

I liked the ATV's at Hacienda Campo Rico better than at Carabali, only because they were "cushier". I haven;t done the ones at Hacienda Madrigal yet.

Snorkeling- I think Culebra (at Flamenco beach is really nice) and if you really go out off of Icacos it is good. Kayaking PR has a nice Culebra kayak/snorkel trip. I like Erin Go Bragh for the intimacy of only 6 people, and I like taking a private boat over to Icacos for the day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: January Trip Suggestions

Thanks for all the great info. I'm still in the middle of doing the research on some of them.

Which experience/tour would you most recommend for Bio Bay?

Also, do you think that Zip Line is interesting for2 30 year old's or a waste of time? Thanks.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January Trip Suggestions

As I have done the biobays and zip lines many times, i may be a bit jaded, but here are my suggestions:

If you have the extra money, you can do the East Island trip to the Vieques biobay. If you want to save the money for other things, do the electric boat into the Fajardo biobay. If you enjoy kayaking instead, do kayaking in Fajardo biobay. All are a really neat experience and with the right moon, really amazing.

If you only want zip lines, I think the best zip line course is Toro Verde. But I enjoy other adventures along with my zip lines, so Rocaliza, Acampa, Batey are high on my list.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January Trip Suggestions

that sounds like alot of stuff for 4 days. especially when you factor in travelling.

you dont plan on relaxing then?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: January Trip Suggestions

Based on the suggestions I got from you this is my itinerary so far. Please let me know if you think I should rather do other things or pair them differently.

Arriving Sunday evening. Renting a car in airport. Driving to Wyndham.

Monday- Morning -Rain Forest El Youneque (which trails do you suggest?)

Afternoon-Tropical Trail Rides ATV Tours at Hacienda Campo Rico

Tuesday-Snorkel KYP -either Culebra or the guided mini boat tour (which one do you suggest or should I look for a different snorkeling experience altogether)

Wednesday- Morning Horseback Riding Along the Beach in Manati

Evening BioBay Laguna Grande with KYP (according to their calendar it’s the day that should be darkest while I’m there)

Thursday spend day in old St Juan-Going back to NY late afternoon

Do you think I still have time somewhere for kayaking and caves? (or I’ll have enough kayaking in bio bay)

I guess compared to the work I do all year long this would be called relaxing. LOL.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January Trip Suggestions

if you are in the eastern region:

1. Balneario de Luquillo (blue flag award beach)

2. Bosque Tropical El Yunque (rainforest)

3. Bioluminiscent bay (evening, not on a full moon night)

4. Snorkling in Fajardo, Vieques or Culebra

5. Playa Flamingo (a day trip to Culebra, an island municipality, one of the top beaches in the world, white sand and clear blue water)

Edited: 06 December 2011, 16:12