We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

Hello,

Our group of 7 will be staying at El Convento in February for 3 nights and I am looking for restaurant ideas.

Our nights are a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and I wondered if it would be a good idea to make reservations ahead of our trip because of the number of people?

My idea is that we will walk to dinner at night so I would like to stay in the general neighborhood. We are open to all types of food and perfer local/seafood over some of the more "foodie" types of places.

Anyone have any suggestions? Are the restaurants at El Conventor any good? We thought about dining there our first evening.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

Personally, I haven't dined at El Convento but I've read good things about it.

As far as other options, Aguaviva and Dragonfly are a must.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

We had lunch at Toro Saleo 2 weeks ago. Sort of a tapas menu.

Good food with outdoor seating. There are many restaurans within walking distance. Check with the conciege at El Convento for a few ideas. The restaurants tend to get more crowded on days when their are cruise ships in port which could be any day of the week.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

The pikayo has really good food!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

DEFINITELY have a casual dinner at Cafe El Punto on nearby Fortaleza Street, it's a hole in the wall located in a "mini-mall" of craft shops and such...WONDERFUL homemade fresh food...Avocado stuffed with Jumbo Shrimp is FAB! Great sangria too. Special simple spot. All locals. You'll love it and feel like a local too! Enjoy!!!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

For a lighter meal, lunch or brunch, go to St Germain (I just reviewed it) on Calle Sol. The brunch is a must-do! For a typical old fashioned dinner- Old San Juan Style-go to the very traditional LA DANZA restaurant. For nuvelle cuisine, there a re several places, just explore the menu as you walk the old city. The restaurants at El Convento are very good also. El Patio de Sam is a landmark and at affordable prices, very close to El Convento.

Peru
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

Cafe El Punto is 5 min walk from el Convento and is the best local food restaurant, for Sea Food go to Aguaviva (12-15min walk), Cafe Puerto Rico in front of Colombus Square is good for puertorrican food. St Germain for a good bistro.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

DEFINITELY have a casual dinner at Cafe El Punto on nearby Fortaleza Street, it's a hole in the wall located in a "mini-mall" of craft shops and such...WONDERFUL homemade fresh food...Avocado stuffed with Jumbo Shrimp is FAB! Great sangria too. Special simple spot. All locals. You'll love it and feel like a local too! Enjoy!!!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

May I also reccomend CAFE BERLIN for its wonderful menu of everything from their SUPER Cheese Tortellini ans pasta dishes to their many healthy (even Vegetarian) options and even creative sandwiches which are often my preferred dinner item of choice after a day in the sun. Ask for the nicest server named Rinnell, tell him his friend from NYC sent you!!

And for an unconventional reccomendation for a super inexpensive and "local" breakfast I'd head to the local fast-food spot (dont laugh, its great!!!) known as "EL MASON"

and order two fried eggs "Huevos Frito" and a Mayyorca without the powdered sugar but WITH cheese ("Majjorca sin

Azucar con Queso)...it's a sweet roll and you can select your choice of cheese (American, Swiss or Cheddar) and a Coffee with Steamed Milk ("Cafe con Leche"), everything will come to under $5 and you'll have the incredible experience of enjoying the REAL local life of the BEAUTIFUL people of Puerto Rico! ENJOY!!!!

Edited: 23 January 2012, 00:33
9. Re: Staying at El Convento, looking for restaurant ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 10:17