We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
6 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants

When we travel we usually like to sample more local hang-outs. We get to eat in many fancy restaurants at home. We enjoy eating fresh fish which I assume p.r. Has lots of. If anyone could send us recommendations on some places that are popular with locals and have great food, would appreciate. We are not looking for glitz!

Thanks.

Esta

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

If you are not looking for glitz, and are willing to try places where locals eat, check the restaurants in Pinones area sucha as Soleil, Parrilla's in Loiza, the Luquillo kiosks or King's in Luquillo, the restaurants by the beach sucha as La Barca or El balcon del Capitan in Salinas, Pito's Seafood in Ponce.

I'm sure others will give more names...

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Hoping others will give more names...

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

The Kiosco's near Luquillo are a row of 30-40 eating and drinking places near Luquillo beach. They range from some of the best rated places to eat in PR according to TA (eg Ay Bonito) to some very local places. Another very highly TA rated place in Luquillo is Pasta y Pueblo. It is literally a shack near the beach but it has some of the best food I have ever had.

Check the restaurant reviews on Tripadvisor. They are very helpful and the really good local places do better than the tourist traps.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 04:48
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

La Casita Blanca in Rio Piedras is a very popular restaurant. It gets packed so arrive early if you wish to go in the peak lunch hours.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

In Old San Juan I recommend the following places: Cafe Manolin (251 San Justo St.) - they have on Monday one of our favorite stews Sancocho and on Fridays you will have our traditional Christmas time meal (rice with peagon peas and roasted pork); Raices Restaurant (315 South Recinto St.) where you can have a monfongo, and other local favorites; for Spanish tapas you can go to Rosa de Triana Rest at 72 Caleta de San Juan St.; or you should also enjoy a Tripleta Sandwich at one of our Food Trucks close to the Cruise Ship ports.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Bebos and Raices are both good. Bebos is over in Condado away from town but the locals seem to love it and it's pretty cheap. Raices is downtown and I will be sitting there having the mofungo in April.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Also try the Parrot Club on Fortaleza St in OSJ.

8. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:27