We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Carbonear, NL
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Hi,

We will be traveling to SJ in March (pre-cruise). We would like to do a little shopping, but do not want to spend a whole lot of time traveling around from store to store. I know there are 2 "outlet" mall; however can anyone give me some advise as to if they are worthwhile?? I'm hearing/reading mixed messages about them.

We are definitely hitting the OSJ shopping and would like to hit some good outlets (if they exist). Any suggestions??

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
419 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

have a look at cruisecritic I believe I saw a link about this.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Yes, there are 2 outlet malls in PR. But only the one in Barceloneta is worth a visit.

There are some outlets in the Old San Juan: Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Coach and others (although not many). All stores are within walking distance from one another.

The outlet mall on Barceloneta is a very nice -and very large- shopping mall, however, it's located about an hour from San Juan (with normal traffic). It's certainly worth the drive if you love to shop and have the time for it. Please see the link below for the stores list and more information.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

The outlets at Barceloneta are fantastic. Unlike other outlets around the world that send them clothing that get discarded from their regular stores, the outlets at Barceloneta only receive clothing from their brand new collection, most times before the regular stores gets them. The discounts are excellent. Having said that, if you have never been to Puerto Rico, I would not change a trip to Old San Juan for one to the Barceloneta Outlets. Old San Juan is a place not to be missed. Various outlets are also located here, like Ralph Lauren and Coach. Barceloneta is beautiful mall where you find great deals, but it has nothing in terms of culture and the enchantment that Old San Juan has.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

My two cents... .It all depends on what articles you are looking for or want to buy, or if you will o "impulse" shopping

For example, for shoes,sandals, etc. Plaza las Americas is the place (if you do not want to spend much time going from one place to another.), except for high end shoes such as Loubotin & Dior or LV, where Condado es the place to go.

Swimsuits: Plaza las Americas

Bags & purses: such as Coach, Matt bags, I find the outlets in OSJ have more merchandise (there is no Coach or Matt at Canovanas, Barceloneta has Coach.

Ralph Lauren, Tommy & Nautica, articles, the Canovanas Outlets have more variety in stock than Barceloneta, although the Ralph store in OSJ has a nice variety too..

Van Heusen, any of the 2, Canovanas or Barceloneta.

BCBG - Barceloneta

Gold jewelry - OSJ

Carbonear, NL
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Thank you all for the replies!

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

i've been to both outlets and do not understand the fuss about outlets, i have found better bargains in the big malls like Plaza Las Américas or Plaza Carolina or minor regional malls like Plaza Rio Hondo or Montehiedra than in the outlets. that has been my experience. But for instance, if you are located in the Rio Grande or Fajardo hotels then the outlets in Canovanas are the closest and smartest choice or if you are in the west coast then the ones in Barceloneta, but if you are in San Juan, i.m.o. not worth the long hour of travel.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 00:43
Carbonear, NL
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Thanks CoquiPR, that's the information I've been receiving. We're not visiting PR just to shop, but of course, we wouldn't want to miss out on any great deals :)! I'm hearing Plaza Las Americas and OSJ as our best bet for some minimal shopping. We are planning a trip to the rainforest ... and we just may stop into the outlets in Canovanas.

Thanks again :)!

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

if you are going to the rainforest then you will pass by Plaza Carolina and the outlets in Canóvanas.

From ''old'' San Juan to Plaza Las Américas is 15 min by car (not during rush hours!!) thru the expressway .

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Both outlets are similar to the outlet experience in the States with mostly the same stores, merchandise and prices. Barceloneta is a little cuter and further away. The outlets at Canovanas are much closer. Coming from NL, if you have never been to a US Outlet Mall, you may find them interesting as he prices are drastically different from what you see in Europe.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 22:53
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping ... outlets or OSJ??

Both outlets are similar to the outlet experience in the States with mostly the same stores, merchandise and prices. Barceloneta is a little cuter and further away. The outlets at Canovanas are much closer. Coming from NL, if you have never been to a US Outlet Mall, you may find them interesting as he prices are drastically different from what you see in Europe.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 22:53