We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

Just want everyone to be aware of the way we were tricked and ripped by Thirfty car rental last week when we arrived in San Juan. After picking us up from the airport and driving us to their rental location they informed me I had to purchase insurance for an additional $20 per day (double my quote) and when I politely refused they proceeded to put $750 on my credit card until I returned with the car. In effect stopping all buying I could do with my credit card for my vacation. They are low down, deceitful and don't much care.

90 replies to this topic
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

You should have returned the car and went elsewhere. There are plenty of car rental agencies in PR.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

We did not have a good experience with them in Jamaica, either. We have not used them ever again.

Charlies' has been wonderful each time we used them.

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

We sure would have!! Except they drive you away from the airport so you have to get a cab to somewhere else and who knows how far that is, and it was 10:00 at night we were exhausted and what if we couldn't get a car elsewhere to meet our needs?

They know this, that's why they do it.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

Most of the rental companies are on the same marginal road closeby to the airport. All you needed to do was call and they would have picked you up.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

I just had the worse car rental experience in 35 years of renting cars. Yes, it was Thrifty in San Juan! I stood in line for 45 minutes to get to the counter, there were only 6 people in front of me! I was asked if I wanted to buy liability insurance, I replied no. Okay, they said please show us your car insurance card......my what? How about giving us a copy of your insurance policy? Are you crazy, I replied? I don't carry that with me. Then if I wanted to rent the car I had to buy the insurance for $10/day or no car......they also lied and said I had to buy an electronic pass because the toll roads don't take cash and it's a $35 penalty from Thrifty if you get a toll ticket.

Never again Thrifty.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,065 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

"......they also lied and said I had to buy an electronic pass because the toll roads don't take cash and it's a $35 penalty from Thrifty if you get a toll ticket."

This is actually, partly true. This was recently implemented: toll roads in PR no longer accept cash. Until now, toll violations resulted in car rental fees and/or tickets, and other annoying fees.

But since the no-cash practice was implemented, all cars have to have the electronic pass. Rental cars included. As far as I know, customers do not have to buy the electronic pass as it should be already installed on the rental car companies' vehicles. The customers however, pay for the toll charges.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

The part about the insurance is also true, at least to some extent. If you look at the website of almost all car rental companies that rent in PR, they will tell you that you can waive the liability insurance, BUT you need proof that you are covered under your own car insurance. It's pretty clearly spelled out. Actually, I don't think this is isolated to PR, because we have experienced it in California as well. Whether the companies actually ASK you for your insurance information or not is the unknown (in PR they have never asked us) but we carry a copy of the info just in case they ask, so we don't have to pay the rental agency's daily fee.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

I've found and avoided most of the hassels by joining whatever club they have and creating a profile. Drivers license number, credit card, insurance infor and preferences. Corporate will verify the information. Then when I rent a car, I signin, use that profile and have never had a problem. Some even allow you to bypass the counter completely so you don't have to deal with anyone.

Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
433 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

Sounds like you got the hard sell on the insurance. I always take my proof of insurance with me for this reason.

Regarding the deposit, I have always had good experiences with Charlie's, but they too charge a refundable $250 deposit. Not as bad as Thrifty, but it stays on your card until you return the car.

And about the tolls: I was just there in February, and the Rte. 66 tollway was still accepting cash in at least one lane each way. The electronic toll device is a total racket, as you pay not only for the tolls themselves (OK), but also $10 for the privilege of using the car company's toll device (NOT ok in my book). I opted for the cash option.

S.GA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan

I rented from Thrifty in San Juan in Jan. and got a great deal. Talked the guy down from the quoted rate.

I did have to take insurance as my stateside insurance company does not cover me in PR or the USVI.

By the way you should always check with your insurance if you travel outside of the 48. And yes you can bargain at Rental Car counters especially if there is another one next door.

Reply to: Beware THRIFTY car rental San Juan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted