We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Chicopee, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

My husband and I are looking for a place to stay in mid April 2012. The beach is important to us...well kept and able to swim. The reviews for these hotels are all over so don't know which hotel is best? We won't have a car and want to be able to get to Old San Juan and other tourist attractions (have heard a taxi or the bus is fine?). Looking for a clean place with semi-helpful staff to give us tips and decent restaurants. We are casual people so don't want to have to get in formal clothes every night for dinner. Spending 5 nights 6 days there....any comments or tips would be much appreciated. We have only been to Aruba and different parts of Florida to compare. Thanks!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Well, if you want a more casual place I'd skip the Ritz Carlton - although it is the "best" (that is if you define 'best" as being upscale) of the hotels on your list it may be to upscale of an environment for you.

The Courtyard by Marriott is like any other Courtyard by Marriott that you'll find anywhere - casual with OK rooms - nothing special. The beach is nice but it's the furthest "away" from anything so you'll have a long trek when you venture "off resort".

Intercontinental is your best choice, good location on a fine stretch of beach. You can walk to shops, other hotels, and a variety of different restaurants in all price ranges. The bus line is right outside the main entrance gate or you can rely on taxis as there's always plenty waiting by the main entrance.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

I agree with the above post. The Courtyard by Marriott is too isolated. You couldn't walk at night to the great restaurants in Isla Verde Ave.

Of your options, the Intercontinental is by far the best choice because of its location. They also have a great pool and beachfront bar called Ciao Mediterraneo. You do not need to be a guest of the hotel to enjoy the beach bar, so if you end up staying someplace else do not miss this bar. It is literally on the sand.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Another vote for Intercontinental. Look no more, that's where you want to be.

I encourage you to read my review on this hotel. I stayed there last October and can't wait to go back.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

If you are trying to save money, Courtyard is very nice, pros: nice beach, real good band and a fun lobby scene on weekends, nice buffet at reasonable price,

And I believe most rooms have some sort of ocean view, cons- a little isolated, airport noise. Intercontinental is a great location, good food and bar, pricey, weak drinks. Nice Japanese, Italian, steakhouse etc. Beautiful public area.

They charge a resort fee, I don't think Marriott did?? I always Hotwire isla verde, and often get the intercontinental for 129. Plus resort fee. I've never gotten an ocean view room, but usually will upgrade you for 50 bucks.i think I got Marriott for 109. Decent ocean view, 2 free drinks, no resort fee, so a much more affordable place. Have fun, both are nice.

Chicopee, MA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Thanks for the tips...I was wondering about the resort fee and the noise. Thanks again!

Chicopee, MA
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Thank you, I did read your review...very helpful! Thanks everyone...I think we are leaning towards the Intercontinental it sounds like that one has had the most votes and is centrally located to get easy bus/ taxi access. Thanks again!

Edited: 05 March 2012, 20:17
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Good choice. Tip-There is a supermarket nearby, it's a little hard to find,so ask. You can stock up on booze and snacks to enjoy on your balcony.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

Great choice! I have stayed at both IC and Courtyard and I strongly recommend IC. Courtyard has nice rooms but its side of the beach is too rough, and the hotel is a bit isolated. IC in the other hand, is right in the middle of the action, and the beach couldn't be nicer and great for swimming.

Have fun!

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

I would go with IC as well, or El san Juan next door. Ritz is upscale and you will have to be semi well dressed. I stayed at the El san Juan , between IC and Ritz and for me , i wish i had stayed at Ritz. Marriott is tired but all these hotels have the good , clean beach behind. plenty of eating places around and also the Supermarket for snacks /fruit and drinks so you can save on those exhorbitant hotel prices. very close to airport .

beach wise they are all on the same beach.

Consider the condado area as well. I liked the ocean on that side as well .

10. Re: Intercontinental, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde or Ritz Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 19:54