We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

We are planning to catch a flight to Vieques via VAL (Vieques Airlink) next week. It has been posted in forums that cheaper flights can be had from Ceiba airport than from Isla Grande. As of today a one way flight is $132+/- from Isla Grande to Vieques and $62+/- from Cieba to Vieques

How does one get to airport at Cieba from a San Juan hotel - let's say Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel. Taxi? Public Transport? Hotel shuttles?

What would estimated cost be vs getting to Isla Grande. Maybe the costs of getting there offsets the savings?

Thank you for replying!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

I think the usual cost is about $70- 80 one way.

You would need to find a driver- you can pre-arrange or then try to negotiate with a taxi driver once here.

You can search this forum for names- I think people recommend John Publico or Luquillo Taxi( Shawn) 787-513-7685

But you also have to factor in the value of your vacation time- the 1.25 hr drive each way. And look at the times of the flights to make sure they work with your schedule.

Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

Thank you for your prompt reply! - I had wondered if it would be a long ride - so that is an important consideration - will stick w/ Isla Grande.

Thanks for tip on taxi's too.

Looking forward to seeing this part of the Carribean.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

OP: you have your numbers mixed up.

It is $132 or something like thats for a ROUND TRIP ticket. one way is half that. One way from Ceiba is $30 to $32.

If someone lands in San Juan and has a couple or more hours to wait for a flight from Isla Grande, going to ceiba is not a bad choice since you would be sitting around Isla Grande Airport so why not sit in a van going to ceiba. But if you will leave your hotel and go directly to Isla grande and get on a plane soon after it makes send to go to Isla Grande. If you had four or more people in your party, taking the taxi would make alot of sense.

FYI or any9one reading this, I recomend John from Johnspublico@yahoo.com

Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

Frankipoo

Aaaah, you are so right - wasn't paying attention to math - as I had put in ONE-WAY in the search engine of their website and it came up with those numbers. Thanks for pointing that out!

I was also thinking that the 1.5 hour ride might even be sightseeing worthy? The original party of 5 to go to Vieques has dwindled down to 2. Now I need to look at schedules and figure out what makes sense. Can't wait to leave cold NH and head to some tropical warmth!

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

It's not worth the hassel to go all the way to Ceiba and then go back.

Luquillo, Puerto...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

Thanks Flowerfarm for the tip on the Publico & the Taxi also @ Frankipoo I checked this Luquillo Taxi guy Shawn Herrera out and his rates are really cheap and his service is excellent. I found him on TA under Luquillo Taxi or under his name. This guy is good!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

well, think about it. it's $68 to fly from Isla Grande to Vieques. It's about $20 to $25 to get to Isla Grande from your hotel. so thats about $160 for both of you if you fly out of Isla Grande.

If you take a private ride to Ceiba it can be fun. especially if you go through pinones or stop at the kioskos at luquillo. you can also have your driver go through el yumque for a small fee. so going to Ceiba has its advantages. what rate did you get? usually its about $80 for a straight ride to ceiba then $32 for a flight. thats about $144. so it is cheaper. but it will take away Vieques time. so you have to weigh the pros and cons.

I prefer flying from Ceiba because the flight is only about 8 minutes and theres not alot of air time. flying from Isla Grande is about 25 minutes. and i hate flying. so... but it gets you there a couple of hours earlier.

8. Re: Getting to the Ceiba airport from hotel in San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:41