We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Topic
La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

It's being reported in the local paper Vocero today that La Bombonera in Old San Juan will be closing its doors on Monday after 110 years of being in business. Here's the story http://www.vocero.com/cierra-la-bombonera/ (in Spanish)

If my bad Spanish serves me well, it looks like the "public area" is in one building, and the kitchen and restrooms are in another building, and the owner of the building that houses the kitchen doesn't want to renew the lease (he wants to renovate and sell). Apparently, La Bombonera was not able to negotiate favorable terms with the owner of the building, and they have decided to close instead of renovating their own space.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

Just saw that in Vocero - really sad

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

I guess I have to make a visit during the rest of the week... will miss the mallorcas, rosquitas and the cocas mallorquinas during lent.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

I'm getting teary eyed over here. I love La Bombonera. It will be missed.

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

Wow...can't believe something cannot be worked out. That place was mobbed everytime we went near it; however maybe the profit margin is not that good and owners are tired of running a business?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

Update ... NotiUno is now reporting that La Bombonera will be closed for 5 months while the kitchen and restrooms are relocated. Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait for the dust to settle ...

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

That makes more sense...I would think that place is a "historical landmark" and would not just close that easily.

7. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2012, 19:35
Edited: 24 April 2012, 19:35
8. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2012, 19:35
Edited: 24 April 2012, 19:35
9. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

Removed on: 30 April 2012, 12:05
Edited: 30 April 2012, 12:05
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Bombonera in Old San Juan closing its doors

As of today, It seems that the government is trying to help so it does not close. They say they will continue operating partialy (the bakery) . Let's see what happens in the next few days.