We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on flash flooding area - help!

Camp Hill...
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Question on flash flooding area - help!

Posts from Trip Advisor have been invaluable in planning our trip to PR and I'm hoping to benefit from you all again! I know it's the tropics and rain can come out of nowhere and head out as quickly but the forecast for this weekend coupled with the flash flood warning has me a little concerned. We are flying into SJU tomorrow and staying in Old San Juan tomorrow night. Are the areas between the airport and Old San Juan a place that has flooding issues? Also we are driving down to Copamarina on Saturday - does anyone know how that highway is during heavy rains? Does it ever have flooding issues? Thanks so much for any info - I'm sure we'll still have a great time, just trying to get a better idea of what we're heading into!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on flash flooding area - help!

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning at 4:30am today that includes all of Puerto Rico. I tried to post part of the warning here, but TA won't let it go through since it's issued in ALL CAPS.

Here's the link .... www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php…

In summary, there's a warning for all of Puerto Rico through Friday night.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on flash flooding area - help!

No flooding issues at SJU nor Old San Juan as far as I know. Flooding takes place on flat areas, which is certainly not the case in Old San Juan (many hills).

The same applies to the highway itself. However, it ends in Ponce, and then you would have to take RT#2 to Guanica. This road is mostly flat so it does flood sometimes (rarely though).

Copamarina is located on higher area (it won't make sense explaining it here beings that the ocean is by it but it will when you drive to it) so floording is not an issue there either.

I wouldn't worry about flooding if I were you. It is a rare issue that most likely, you won't even notice.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on flash flooding area - help!

There are a number of places that flood in OSJ and on the way when it rains hard. Think low areas. There are no rivers that will flood along the usual highway routes, however the roads themselves can fill up quickly.

In OSJ, I have seen cars parked by the boat piers with water up to their doors just after a quick rain. Park in a parking deck.

RT 26 right before the entrance to Minillas tunnel gets flooded all the time. Follow what the locals do- usually people just merge into the passable part, or they wait or they back up and take an alternate route.

The highway is generally ok, but driving is slow going during the rain.

Thing is the roads weren't designed with drainage (at least not that can handle the heavy quick rain bursts we get). Anywhere that is in a flat area or at the bottom of a hill, be careful.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on flash flooding area - help!

I would not worry about flash flooding while driving on the main highways. However, be careful while driving as there are always flooded areas within the roads that are not readily apparent, especially at night.

5. Re: Question on flash flooding area - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:42