We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - how hot?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - how hot?

Hi, I'm not worried about weather at all. I know rain might be there and that's ok.

What I really want to know is how hot it is now. Is it OMG hot, or just hot? Humidity is something I'm assuming too. I've been to the tropics lots of times and early on (Jan.) it's nice and balmy. I'm thinking it's going to be OMG hot this time of the year.

Thanks!!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - how hot?

Yes. Summertime--very hot especially in the sun.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - how hot?

May is summertime?

Have you just come back from there? I was hoping to hear from someone who has just recently returned.

Thank you for your response!

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
270 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - how hot?

Tomorrow's high is 83degrees... avg high in the month of May is 84degrees... humidity is 74% which will feel like it is around 90. I'll be there for the first time on Friday, but it sounds bearable.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - how hot?

No it is not summertime now. Just stating that in the summertime it is very hot in Puerto Rico. When do you plan on going?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - how hot?

Right now (9:32pm) it's 75°F and 78% humidity on our property in Rio Grande at the edge of El Yunque, about 400' above sea level. This afternoon, it was in the mid-80s.

This morning, it was in the low 70s, and I was wearing a sweatshirt!

Edited: 08 May 2012, 02:35
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - how hot?

I was there a few weeks ago, and temperatures were pretty much what Ray described above. That said, though I am well accustomed to hot and humid climates, what struck me as a first-time visitor to Puerto Rico was not really the heat per se but rather the intensity of the sun. I'm not a meteorologist and don't know how to explain it, but it is very intense. Be prepared to wear a lot of sunscreen, a hat and long-sleeved clothing, and/or carry a small umbrella to give yourself some shade -- we employed all of these methods at various times. I have super fair skin, so also bought a rashguard for swimming, which allowed me to play in the ocean without worrying too much about sunburn. Good luck and enjoy!

Reading...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather - how hot?

If you have been to Florida, is it comparable to that?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather - how hot?

Hmmm, sounds pretty warm but not ohmygod drop dead hot. Thanks for responding everyone! We leave this week.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather - how hot?

"May is summertime?"

Am I missing something here? The last year I lived in PR I never saw much difference between seasons. As far as I know, it's always summer and hot in PR.

"If you have been to Florida, is it comparable to that?"

Yes. Only that FL actually does cool off significantly in the winter.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather - how hot?

@paris: Yes. You are missing that prexplorer mentioned summertime, and I responded with asking if May was summertime.

I was just wondering how hot it'd be there this week, like the title of my post says.