We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

checking out old san juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
613 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
checking out old san juan

We are staying in Humacao and will want to go to OSJ to check out the fort and do some shopping and such

I hear traffic is bad so how can we do this without the stress of parking and driving in the traffic of OSJ?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: checking out old san juan

We drove there on a Saturday morning and didn't find the traffic to be bad. We drove north towards El Morro and there is a parking lot underground right there. We parked and walked around, also took the trolley. It wasn't bad at all. If you're really scared, you could park at a resort or the airport and take a cab in, but it really wasn't too bad for us at a non-peak time.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: checking out old san juan

Traffic or parking in OSJ are not bad at all. There are plenty of parking lots to choose from - just don't park by the one near el morro (very expensive, sorry!). Drive on Ave Fernandez Juncos until you see the piers, then go right and follow the traffic to find the lots.

Unless there is a specific festival or activity, you will not have traffic going into OSJ. However, since you are driving from Humacao, avoid rush hour traffic, or you will be stuck in traffic for hours.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: checking out old san juan

Traffic is horrendous during rush hour. Many people who live all over the island work in OSJ. Time your trips so you don't get stuck in it you will be fine. Parking is inexpensive and easy to get to near Doña Fela.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 02:05
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: checking out old san juan

To clarify, traffic during rush hour will be really bad going into the San Juan metro area coming from Humacao (PR 30 and 52) and nearby town of Caguas (or Carolina if you are coming from that side). Driving in to OSJ per se is not that terrible, even at rush hour. If you leave Humacao after 9am and start your return either at 4pm or after 7pm you should be ok.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: checking out old san juan

To clarify, traffic during rush hour will be really bad going into the San Juan metro area coming from Humacao (PR 30 and 52) and nearby town of Caguas (or Carolina if you are coming from that side). Driving in to OSJ per se is not that terrible, even at rush hour. If you leave Humacao after 9am and start your return either at 4pm or after 7pm you should be ok.

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
324 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: checking out old san juan

I am so very glad that we did not rent a car. We stayed on the Ocean Park area of Condado (Acacia Inn) and we took a cab each time (be careful - even though the turista taxis are regulated, half the time the drivers tried to rip us off). From where we stayed to Old San Juan is $15.00 - we always tipped an extra $5.00 - so $20 each way. WELL WORTH the lack of hassle!! the traffic and very narrow streets in Old San Juan would have thrown a kink into our relaxing time!

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: checking out old san juan

OK. I am going to be really "uninformed", but when you say the taxi is $15 to OSJ, is that $15 for the whole taxi or is it per person? THANKS! (can you tell that I don't take taxi's very often!)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: checking out old san juan

Best I know it's for the taxi, but I was traveling solo. If you drive, there is some street parking (with a bit of luck) on Norzagaray street. Thats the street El Morro and San Cristobal are on (the forts). However you go, OSJ is awesome.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: checking out old san juan

Fare is always per cab.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: checking out old san juan

Drive into OSJ and park in one of the parking garages. They are convenient and cheap.