We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
263 posts
455 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

First timer to Puerto Rico. Will be coming the 1st week of August for business and have 2 free days and wanted to dive. Staying at Caribe Hilton, is diving available nearby or do I have to travel to the other side of the island?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

There are no scuba diving options in San Juan. The Metro San Juan area is very urbanized. You will have to go elsewhere on the island to scuba.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

Scuba Dogs and Aqua Adventures offer some dives in SJ, but it is more macro stuff and not the prettiest (IMO- too much silt).

For better diving yo need to head elsewhere- like off Fajardo, Humacao, the out islands to the east are your best closest dives.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
263 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

Thank you

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

As the others have said best options are away from San Juan - u can find a list of operators around the island here discoveringpuertorico.com/2010/…

Hope that helps

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

The best dive locations are: The wall in La Parguera on the south coast and Mona Island off the west coast. Any outfit that takes you to the latter would have to secure the required permit first.

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

I highly recommend Scuba Dogs at Escambron Beach! It was recommended to me by a dive instructor who emphasized that this outfit has a PADI 5-Star certification.

For a first-timer like me who had only gone snorkeling in the past, it was obvious that I needed very thorough instruction on many aspects of diving, with safety being foremost. My instructor Cristina Von Essen was steadfast in teaching safety, and won my complete trust.

My fear of closed spaces manifested itself pretty quickly after we went under water, so we went to a more shallow end of the cove to go over the underwater exercises several times that are paramount to surviving under the most dire of circumstances.

Once she helped me get to my calm place and to trust the breathing apparatus, it was all fun from that point on. Even with my newly found confidence and sense of adventure, she never was far from me and was checking on my sense of safety at a constant rate.

I really encourage anyone, especially beginners, to start here. I'm in Puerto Rico on business, so if I get one more chance under a tight schedule to go back in the water, I'll return to Scuba Dogs!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
162 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

I agree with prexplorer La Parguera is better, if you go ther go with Paradise Scuba they are great!

8. Re: Scuba Diving Options in San Juan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:16