We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental from cruise ship??

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental from cruise ship??

I am docking in San Juan on a Carnival Cruise from 3pm - 11pm in June. I would love to see the Rainforest, and am wondering if it is possible to rent a car from the cruise terminal. On some islands, such as Hawaii, shuttles will meet passengers at the port and take them to the car rental center. Does this occur in San Juan?

If renting a vehicle isn't feasible, what is the best way yo visit the Rainforest other than booking a tour through the ship? Are alternate tour companies available at the tour? Or would a taxi work? There are three of us. Also, what time does it get dark in early June? Thanks much for any suggestions.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental from cruise ship??

I would suggest a tour.

These guys are highly rated.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147324-d1…

You can also look here:

tripadvisor.com/…TtD

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental from cruise ship??

The El Yunque Rain Forest closes in the evening @ 6pm. By the time you get off the ship, to a rental agency, in the car and on the road. You won't make it. Plan something else.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental from cruise ship??

Thank you; thank you so much for the information provided. Funny that you are both from Cleveland -lol.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,639 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental from cruise ship??

I agree, you do not have much time to do it on your own. You can join the cruise tour, as they would guarantee you'll be back on time,but it will be expensive and fast paced.

Your time will be better spent walking around OSJ and visiting the forts and shops.

Daylight usually ends around 6:30-7pm, +/- 10min the time of the year.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 20:36
5. Re: Car rental from cruise ship??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 10:16