We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Priceline?

Chicago
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Using Priceline?

Hi! Interested in hearing people's thoughts on Priceline? We are thinking about going back to PR for New Years Eve and trying to do it the least expensive way. The flight I can easily risk using priceline, but I am a little nervous to for hotels, as we need to be on the beach. Has anyone ever used it before? And if so, if you chose the San Juan region and choose the 3+ stars, are we guaranteed to be on the beach? I definitely do not want to be in Old San Juan. Any past experience or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Priceline?

Its a crap shoot. Most people I think like what they get but if you want specifics.... Basically its not that they get better prices, its that they sell open rooms. There is no way to tell exactly what you will get.

Chicago
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Priceline?

Thanks! It is really decent prices though! Do you know in San Juan if they just include the beach hotels?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Priceline?

Don't do it. I got the Radisson Ambassador and it was horrible. It's worth it to book the hotel you want for more $.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Priceline?

There are no guarantees with priceline. Usually you will get a good deal in SJ. Do it if you are willing to accept the risks involved.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Priceline?

Think about a Condo or apartment rental. You will save money over a hotel, plus be able to make some of your own meals. Nothing like a BBQ. Tongs in one hanc, cold drink in the other.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Priceline?

Do not use Priceline bidding for rental cars in PR. While the majors are in their system so are a few "very local" vendors who have been reviewed with horrible service in this forum. Search for rental car company reviews in this forum before booking.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Priceline?

I always use Priceline to book my hotels and I have never been disappointed with the results. However, when it comes to San Juan, I care mostly about the hotel quality, and not so much about the location.

You see, bidding for a hotel in San Juan using Priceline is different than bidding for hotels in other cities where Priceline allows to choose specific areas. In San Juan, Priceline is not area-specific so you might end up in a hotel in Condado, or Isla Verde, or Old San Juan, or worse: Miramar, where you will need a car to go anywhere.

I suggest that you use Priceline ONLY when you don't have a preference on areas to stay (in San Juan). Otherwise, you might be disappointed.

Chicago
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Priceline?

Thank you all so much!

New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Priceline?

I just went to Priceline and they do let you choose the area you want. I haven't done it yet, but I'm looking into it.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
58 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Priceline?

Last time in PR we got a terrific deal on Marriott Stella Polaris (right on the beach). When checking in they gave us a nice room - so no prejudice against Priceline. This time we got the Caribe Hilton. It has quite varied reviews so it will be exciting to see what we get.