We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
First time San Juan

Hello, we are planning to go to San Juan, PR in December. I have two kids one 3 and other 6. We are planning to stay @ Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort. Not sure sue how will it work out, we likes all inclusive but here I didn't find any hotels that offer. anyway, like your suggestions on what to do there with kids? How far rain forest area from Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort?

This place is close to airport, can we walk to out hotel?

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time San Juan

If your thinking of not getting a car, your making a mistake. Look many places have all inclusives because they do not want you wandering. Puerto Rico is the opposite, everything is spread out all over. The closest you can get to an all inclusive is there are a number of smaller places where they will include meals.

You can't walk it to the airport, frankly its dangerous, your on high speed roads. You need a cab or a car.

Its about a 50 minute drive between the 2, El Yunque.

Here is a link to a map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS228US228&q=Courtyard+Isla+Verde+Beach+Resort+to+el+yunque&hl=en&prmdo=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=lKdfUPBGpvTSAfvrgaAE&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAA

Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time San Juan

Thank. I did not find all inclusive places.

I am not planning to rent a car. Is cab availale easly?

Do you think i should stay @ la coacha vs marriott near airport?

Do thay have any tours?

How much airport to hotel transportation cost?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time San Juan

Hi ydeewana, The Courtyard is a pretty nice resort. It has an excellent beach that it shares with the Ritz. There are several places to eat nearby, but it is something of a walk. You can take a tour to El Yunque, which is probably a good idea with smaller kids and you can take the bus to Old San Juan for .75 each. The Courtyard is close to the airport, but you can't walk there, but you get off the plane grab your luggage get a cab and you can be on the beach 10 minutes later. La Concha is in a more walkable area, but there are complaints about the beach having bad surf and its not so child friendly. For a first trip, you will enjoy the Courtyard.

Dorado Puerto RIco
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time San Juan

The beaches in San Juan aren't the greatest so be sure to take a day trip to an amazing beach. This place offers a day trip with lunch and boat ride out to the little island of Icacos for snorkeling and beach going …viator.com/tour/…info.htm

You can also get tours to El Yunque on their site. Eco Action tours also has beach trips and El Yunque trips. Don't make the mistake of just staying in San Juan, you have to see more. I prefer Condado to Isla Verde for everything being in walking distance.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time San Juan

Easily put:

There are no all inclusives in PR.

The rainforest (El Yunque) is located about 45 east of San Juan (with normal traffic).

What to do with kids? Kids love the forts in the Old San Juan. Fly kites at El Morro grounds, watch/play with the many, many pigeons that hang out at the Pigeon Park (Parque de las Palomas). I'm not sure if feeding is still allowed though.

"This place is close to airport, can we walk to out hotel?"

Yes, Courtyard - Isla Verde is very close to the airport, but no, you cannot walk to it. There are no sidewalks, the roads are all highways, busy avenues and such.

Cabs are redily available outside the baggage claim area at the airport. Here's the taxi website with rates: http://www.cabspr.com/

If you plan on visiting El Yunque, you will need a rental car unless you're willing to pay a taxi or a tour guide, which will be very expensive.

This is the day trip tours website: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/

Edited: 25 September 2012, 15:08
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time San Juan

Everyone else has said this but I just want to reiterate.

There are no all inclusives. Puerto Rico is not a third world country. And even if there were all inclusives you would do yourselves a grave injustice because there are so many food choices, especially with food that is native to the region. It is very delicious. I know with children they can be nit picky about food but there is something for everyone in PR. I hope I didn't come off the wrong way when I said all of that.

You can rent a car to get to El Yunque but you can take tours too...all about what your budget looks like. We did a tour with Kayaking Puerto Rico but that's because we did the Bio Bay excursion.

Isla Verde has the more kid friendly beaches. I think you all will enjoy the Courtyard better. La Concha is gorgeous and I loved the area but in my opinion La Concha is not for kids even though I saw quite a few there.

There are tons of things to explore on the island. how long are you all staying if you don't mind me asking?

Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time San Juan

Thanks much! we will be there for 4 days. I guess we can plan for a day tour?

Houston, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time San Juan

Thanks much! we will be there for 4 days. I guess we can plan for a day tour?

I checked cab website but it is not working..so can you tell me how much it cost for cab from airport to hotel? should i reserve it in advanced?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time San Juan

Yes a day tour will take up a lot of your time but seeing as though you have 2 young kids you might want to break tours up over the time you are there.

Um no....the cabs are right there as you walk out of the airport. You tell the person arranging the cabs where you are going and they will tell you how much based on what area you are going to. It is a flat rate + $1 for each bag you have.

This link on the puerto rico day trips website has the break down of fares:

puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-tax…

looks like you will be paying $10 + $1 per bag.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time San Juan

Please, please o not book ECO Action Tors, they have terrible service. Just do a search on TA.

You can also call Debby from New Horizon Tours. With a group she can personalize the tour for you. I have used her a few times for my Fam. 787-381-1340

Taxis usually don't have permits to go to the Rainforest

Edited: 27 September 2012, 14:16