We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
142 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

My Wife and I are very excited to have booked our first trip to Puerto Rico for 5 nights starting Dec 2nd. We are staying at La Concha. We plan on visiting El Morro, shopping/hanging out in OSJ, and booking an excursion through East Island. Does anyone have any advice on choosing between the Icacos vs Culebra tours? Are the beaches/snorkeling opportunities vastly different? I realize that one is a catamaran and one is a powered boat.

We are both outgoing, active, plan on hitting multiple dinner/drink spots, want to see beautiful beaches but also want to balance our trip to learn about the culture and beauty of the island. We don’t want to rent a car (I realize many recommend you do this) but still want to get a full experience. El Hamburger sounds like a can’t miss - what others spots should I dig into? We are open to "off the beaten path," as well as spots that she needs her high heels for.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Justin

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,065 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Try Cafe Manolin for lunch in the Old San Juan. Great authentic food, casual atmosphere, good portions and prices. translate.google.com/translate…

Another great food spot is Babo's Cafe near Condado. Delicious authentic food, good prices. http://www.beboscafe.com/

Another great spot for authentic food -a must visit if you want a full experience- is a visit to Guavate. You will be there at the best time of the year to experience our culture. You will need to rent a car, but it's a very easy drive. Believe me, you will be glad you did!

As far as heels... Anywhere she goes at night, heels will be appropriate, specially at bars. PRicans, particularly women dress up at night, and you won't want to be left out.

Tips: try the "coquito" (coh-kee-toh). It's our version of spiced egg nog. It has coconut milk and rum, and it's absolutely delicious.

Have fun!

Dorado Puerto RIco
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Go to Culebra, you won't regret it! It has amazing beaches and snorkeling. I think it will be the highlight of your trip.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Both boats are catamarans. One powered one under sale. The power cat to Culebra is a full day and well worth it.

I personally prefer San Cristobal Fort to El Morro. It is larger with lot to see. You can get a combo ticket and do them both. Plus it has a parking area.

Without a car, you will be pretty much stuck in the San Juan area unless you arrange transpotation.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
142 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Great feeback! Thank you so much. After looking at the area a little more, we will likely rent a car for about half the trip. I have too many "must-see" spots and would like to go at our own pace.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

A couple of good places for lunch include Cafe St. Germain (near San Cristobal) and El Patio de Sam pretty near El Morro , but there are lots more.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Check this out: http://www.segwaytourspr.com/ I have not had a chance to do it yet. But look forward to trying. Great reviews on Trip Advisor though.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
142 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

Those segway tours look like a riot. Id have to convince my Wife that she wouldnt look goofy riding one but I'd love it lol! Im definately hitting Guavate, as I recall Anthony Bourdain did a visit a few years ago and it look amazing...the itineray is filling up - 5 nights may not be enough!! thanks everyone!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

I see one of my suggestions linked to the wrong place..... Patio de Sam is tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d9… Good food and nice bar. Have fun whatever you do !

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
142 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

I was wondering about that but I did a search for it and found it. Thanks for the link!

10. Re: December Trip Booked! I have a few first-timer questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:17