We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

Our four night (three full day) February visit to San Juan is long off; but, I'm already studying the forum and dreaming of great food, especially Spanish and Puerto Rican cuisines.

I am a bit lost about where to go in the Old San Juan area, at lunch or at dinner, for traditional Puerto Rican food. Would prefer a sit-down restaurant rather than a market stall. Saw references to Raices, but some reviews described it as "touristy". Tasca el Pescador looks good, but seems far from where we are staying at El Convento. What would you recommend?

I've identified Botegas Compostela and the Restaurant at Casa de Espana for Spanish food, and probably good bets for dinner. I understand the El Picoteo (very conveniently located in our hotel) is also pretty good for tapas. Any other recommendation?

Thanks!

Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Jerrys Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
De Tour Con Ali
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

Also came across La Fonda del Jibarito (for traditional PR food) in an internet search. It was describe as a "San Juan institution", but it doesn't seem to be listed in the TA restaurants section. Any one know about this place?

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

Kiawahvilla, for a real PR lunch or breakfast, go to Cafe Manolin's on 251 San Justo St., Old San Juan. http://www.cafemanolinoldsanjuan.com/

Edited: 29 September 2012, 20:19
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

For a very good Spanish Paella try Miro's Mariaqueria Catalana in Condado.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 20:21
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

That's because they shortened their name.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d9…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

Thank you! Thank you!

Wonderful information. All of these places are now on the list.

Glad to have located "El Jibarito". The new name roles off my tongue more easily than the former name "La Fonda del Jibarito". :-)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

I had a very late lunch 2x here tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d9… and found it good...not as expensive as some places. It's been around for a long time.....1940's. Not terribly fancy but it has a menu from burgers to mofongo. Bar in front and dining room in back...I at at the bar both times....one of the owners joined me. Bartenders were nice, crowd seemed to be mixed local and tourist. It's close to El Convento. But...there are tons of restaurants in OSJ.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

For traditional prican food, try Cafe Puerto Rico,, Cafe La Princesa or Fefo's deli.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

These places sound and look wonderful! I am saving and printing the thread. I'm also marking all of the restaurants on my map so we can stop in whenever we're close. Thanks, all!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

Definetly Barrachina on Fortaleza Street.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish and Puerto Rican food in/near Old San Juan

OSJ is only a few square blocks, so nowhere is "far" from El Convento. I have been to all of the above suggestions (except Fefo's). When we went to El Jibarito, the owner came by a few times and checked in; when we got up to leave, she came over and kissed up goodbye.