We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Wireless

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon Wireless

Hello,

Trying to figure out how Verizon works in PR. Can I use the phone, and net without additional charges. The website show extended coverage. Not sure if that means roaming charges or if it is included. Thanks in Advance

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Wireless

You better call them directly and get it by e-mail. We no longer have Verizon in P . R., they sold it to Claro.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Wireless

PR is included in the plan, no roaming, no international long distance. They say extended coverage because they use other providers.

pa
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon Wireless

We went to PR in August Verizon told us text would be $.25 and calls $.69 a min but we already recieved our bill for that month and we weren't charged any extra hopefully they can't come up with charges a month or two later! We did make sure we only used the phone if it said extended and not roaming!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon Wireless

Practically all of PR is covered in Verizon's plan with no roaming or text charges. Data coverage is very spotty. Mostly 1x which is generally useless. We have gotten 3g in a few areas.

They do not own any towers in PR and their agreements with local carriers seem to change frequently. Make sure you hit *228 on your phone before you leave the states. That updates the coverage info on the phone. That's also why they cite roaming charges when you ask them. In 6 years I have never gotten one even when you get a roaming signal on the phone which is often. They are hedging because they sometimes have coverage contract disputes.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon Wireless

WTP has it, when you get there do *228.

As long as you do not have a very low priced emergency plan, it should be fine. I have never seen an upcharge on my Verizon bills when on the island.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon Wireless

roaming is pretty standard now, like call waiting. but it still depends on your plan, not location whether you pay for it or not. check your plan.

I have never paid an extra penny for roaming or texting. however i am not able to send picture messages while roaming.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
598 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon Wireless

i have never seen an up charge on my verizon bill (iPhone 4) after leaving PR. I do turn off the data plan and use wifi, but texting and phone calls were covered with no extra charges.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon Wireless

I understand that Verizon mostly uses Clario's towers and that Clario has begun offering 4g. Is anyone getting 4g on Verizon phones yet or know if it will be available?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon Wireless

Thanks... Hey dolph, I see you are in Cle. Originally from Westlake, but currently in Al. I am looking forward to visiting PR in the middle of a cold AL winter. My wife is trying to get me to go to Cle in January, but not looking forward to that at all.

We are staying at the Marriott in SJ. Going to spend 6 days. What would you consider a must do?

10. Re: Verizon Wireless

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:19