We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
422 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

I understand that there is a new toll road, 66, from San Juan to Canovanas. Can anyone help with directions how to get to route 66 from the Munuz Marin Airport. Also, does it have a "name"; my map has only route numbers but replies here on the web often give the name of the road instead. Thanks.

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

Exit the airport on 26 toward Carolina and just up a few miles you will see signs for the toll road to Fajardo and you will just merge onto it right from 26. I doubt you will find it on any map.

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
626 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

Saludos boricuas...

Maps do not show Rt. 66 since it is a brand new road. Its name is Roberto Sanchez Vilella, a former governor. Rt. 66 is the popular name and most people do not know the official name yet.

There is a toll station, $1.50 each way. There are also many iguanas crossing the road, some of which never made it. : ( You have to pay nothing for those. ; )

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

PR
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

the 66 is at the end of the road heading to Carolina(east) the street will divide in 2 just stay on the left and youll see the sign that says Fajardo 66. its easy to find.

rio grande pr
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

it is an expressway close to plaza carolina, Roberto Sanchez Vilella/ 66

mystic,quebec
Level Contributor
132 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

We traveled this road in August of 2007. We just followed the road signs for Fajardo and we were on it. We didn't know it existed as it was not on our map, our GPS kept telling us to "turn around and get back on the road" (Garmin) It was actually very funny! I actually hollered back "I am on the road you stupid thing". Once we figured out where we were it was all good. But it certainly was one of those famous "couple moments".

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

Follow as advised above, BUT as soon as you see the Toys-R-Us sign, watch carefully to yopu right. The entrance to Rd. 66 is somewhat hidden or unconspicuous, and you may pass it without noticing.

7. Re: new toll road San Juan to Canovanas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 03:18