We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

I have read past forums which have addressed this issue for San Juan. They use the same 110 Volt 60 Hertz as the US, and the same plugs, but I want to be sure about OLD San Juan. We will be staying in an old building, not a new hotel, and I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure about what is used in the old part of San Juan.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

Same as in the US. Even if the building is old, it has to pass all US regulations. Besides, there was no electricity when the spanish were here.... :)

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

Excellent point about the Spanish. Thanks.

I guess I was mainly wondering about the outlets. Even if 110 I know my grandma's ancient house in the US had some funky outlets, and very few of them. By the time the 1980's rolled around she had about 9 things plugged into each of her few outlets with extension cords running everywhere. It's a wonder her house didn't burn down. I never actually plugged anything directly into one of her wall outlets because none were ever open, had to use the extension cord, but remember wondering if my plug would have fit in there anyway.... although... if an extension cord fit I guess any regular (ungrounded though) plug would have fit. Just having a little flashback. Don't mind me. Thanks for the info.

I don't suppose you would know if the outlets are grounded in Old San Juan?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

As stated. It's the same rules as the States. GFCIs in the bathroom.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

Pudytat, I get your point. Probably your grandmother's house started in an isolated area, and maybe not many additions were made throughout the years. But the buildings in OSJ probably were all cabled at a later time, therefore having to comply through the years with US building regulations. You are right, there might not be tons of outlets around, but they will all be the same as what you have in the US.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

All are grounded and approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Federal laws apply expropio vigore in PR.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 15:13
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

Your electrical fears are completely unfounded.

7. Re: Electrical Outlets in OLD San Juan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:15