We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico Spring Break

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Rico Spring Break

Any thoughts on our week in PR are most welcome. We are arriving in SJ at 6:30 pm. We are renting a car from Avis and staying at the Sheraton (near the convention center - hotwire deal) for that night. Should we stop along the way from the airport for dinner near a beach or go straight to the hotel? My other question is does it make sense to rent the car from the airport and park it at the sheraton or should we just take a taxi? We are planning on seeing OSJ the next day and then driving out to a rented condo in the Rio Mar resort. We will definitely need/want the car for Rio Mar but not sure when to rent it? Upon arrival or when leaving OSJ?

We planned on doing the bio bay tour in Fajardo but are there during the full moon phase (with early moon rising) so am thinking against doing that. We are also spending a day in the rainforest and doing the Erin Go Braugh sailing for a day. We have 2 teenage boys(13,17) so any suggestions would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Diane

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

"Should we stop along the way from the airport for dinner near a beach or go straight to the hotel?"

That's like asking "how much money should I bring on my vacation?". Only you have the answer to that. Will you be hungry, tired, or in the mood to stop to have dinner? It's your vacation! Do whatever your heart desires! :)

If you decide to grab dinner, consider Metropol. It's about 5 minutes from the airport, and about 15 from your hotel. Great PR/Cuban food, good service. Great mojitos too.

I would rent the car the day of your trip to Rio Mar. There's no need to pay an extra rental day, plus parking fees. Taxi or the bus is cheaper.

Sorry, I haven't done neither of the tours you inquire about. I'm sure someone else will have advise in those regards.

Have fun!

Edited: 09 January 2013, 17:44
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Go Bucks. Erin go Bragh is a great day sail, it will be a highlight of your vacation. Personally I would probably get the car at the airport. Weekly rentals are cheaper than daily. Check out the costs. That way you can leave the luggage you don't need in the car overnight. There are parking decks in Old San Juan that are convenient. Also the Fort San Cristobal has a parking area (paid of course) when you tour there. Depending on what time you arrive, you might consider doing OSJ in the evening. doing some shopping, eating and stolling the streets. What we usually do is hit KFC or Churches and grab a bucket on the way to the hotel. Then sit on the balcony and relax. All depends on the time and how we are feeling. The El Yunque Rain Forest is a great trip also. But a half day is all you really need. Split the day with a stop at Liquillo Beach. Just driving around is a lot of fun. Take a trip up 186 and hit the back side of the national forest. Or 187 along the coast through Pineones. Enjoy

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Thank you - you answered my question about dinner - just wanted suggestions if there were good places to stop on our way to the hotel because I have read the food at the Sheraton is just average and expensive. Thanks for your advice about the car!

Diane

Kansas
Level Contributor
301 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

How about Bebo's BBQ for dinner. It is on Marginal Los Angeles and may be just a stone's throw from where you pick up your rental car. Erin Go Braugh will be awesome...I have done the Ventajerro II which is pretty much the same trip just a different boat. Try Angelito Trail in the rainforest as it has a river to swim in at the end and has less tourists. Big Tree is fun as well and ends at La Mina Falls. Go early and beat the crowds. Seven Seas beach in Fajardo has a trail that leads to some really deserted beaches, Playa Colora and Playa Escondida, that would be a fun hike (careful about swimming at them though).

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Thank you! I appreciate the trail tips I haven't had a chance to figure that one out yet! I'll look into the BB place!

Diane

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

El Yunque is part of the National Park system. Look them up. There are trail maps and information on the web...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Any thoughts on the bio bay? Full moon early rising - will we see anything? Instead should we do an ATV tour? (Remember boys - 13 and 17)

Thanks

Diane

Luquillo, Puerto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Highly recommend "Raices" restaurant in OSJ. As a local whenever we go to OSJ this stop is a must. Prices are reasonable. Parking garage across the street or a 10 minute taxi ride from Sheraton. El Yunque has a wonderful tourist center. Stop there first as their guides can inform you on where to go. Also there are alot of kayak companies in Fajardo that can provide information regarding the bio bay. Enjoy our beautiful island.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Do have a pitcher of Sangria at the restaurant at the Hotel El Convento in OSJ -- it's the best. Great restaurant, and extremely beautiful/confortable hotel, too... pricey, but worth every $$. We were there in March 2012; we're returning this year in April. El Yunque is great, too. I agree -- a half-day trip is sufficient time. We went with a tour (small - about 10 people in a van) that the concierge at El Convento arranged for us. The guide's name is Joey, and was/is very professional and experienced.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Rico Spring Break

Hi,

I recommend renting right off the airport. It is less time consuming and cost wise. You would have to pay taxi from the airport, plus bags, to hotel, then from hotel to restaurant, then from restaurant to hotel, and then the next morning from hotel to old San Juan, and again to car rental. This is about $10-15 each trip. Taxis in this tourist area have standard fares, not matter how many miles it takes. It all depends from where-to vecinity.

If you have two teenage boys, before driving to Rio Mar, make sure to visit the El Morro fortress at Old San Juan. Don't rush your arrival time to Rio Mar, since one you are there you will have to drive to everything. Their pool is nice but the beach is not that great.

Do a lot of walking at Old San Juan, and learn a little of history while at it. There are bike rentals available. that you could rent in the morning of your arrival. If your budget permits your boys may like to do a little bit of Paddle Boarding (which is available right across the Sheraton hotel at the Laguna El Condado), there are a few providers that include lessons.

Once in Rio Mar, look up for Hacienda Carabali, that has 4x4 rentals, and horse trail rides.

I also recommend, if budget permits, to do zip line. Toro Verde has the best varieties (but more expensive and farther). There are many providers. Your kids may like this.

And of course, there are sail adventures off from Fajardo, which is about a 20 min drive, sometimes they have hotel pick up. Ering go bragh is one of them, all providers are really good. Look up the Que Pasa magazine for details, or visitpuertorico.com

You can do El Yunque on your own, and save money. In the weekends it can be crowded, so make sure to arrive before 10 am.