We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip down memory lane?

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip down memory lane?

I'm revisiting San Juan after moving away in 1972 and am trying to find a couple of places that I vaguely remember for a walk down memory lane. I'm looking for a tennis club with a pool that was directly on the beach. And Las Nereidas Elementary School - our playground was a beach and that's all I remember. Can anyone help me out?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip down memory lane?

That school was in Puntas Las Marias in Ocean Park. I don't think its there any more as back in 1971 the property was being pounded by ocean waves and the retainer wall was no longer holding the sea back. Below is a website featuring an archival photo of the rear of the school back in 1971.

…uprrp.edu/cdm/…7

Edited: 14 January 2013, 17:24
santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip down memory lane?

Thanks! Loved the photo... I'll go for a walk on the Puntas Las Marias beach and see if I recognize anything. The fishermen used to pull their boats out by the school, but I guess that's changed! Any thoughts on the tennis club? Could it have been where the Conrad Condado is now?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip down memory lane?

I do not have a clue about the tennis courts. Take a look at www.googlemaps.com and type in Las Marias, Ocean Park, Puerto Rico and take a look at the area from above.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 20:59
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip down memory lane?

Hi Cajeta, The Conrad Condado Plaza has tennis courts and a pool directly on the lagoon. Maybe thats a remnant of the tennis club you remember.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip down memory lane?

The tennis courts next to the ocean are located in Parque Barbosa in Ocean Park just a short walk from the school you attended in Las Marias. Parque Barbosa faces the ocean.

…eyetour.com/whatToSee/san-juan/68/ocean-park

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip down memory lane?

Mid 70's the Conrad Condado Plaza was a Holiday Inn.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip down memory lane?

I remember the Conrad as being the San Jeronimo mid 60' early 70"s

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip down memory lane?

Thanks for the suggestions on the tennis courts. However, having investigated google earth, I'm convinced that the tennis courts were neither at the Conrad or the Parque... Instead, the tennis courts were more numerous than at either place as I remember 4 of them with a stadium court that Chris Evert had played on. And the beach was a surfing beach (not on the lagoon) as I used to retrieve surf boards on the private beach of the club and return them to their missing owners outside the club! Any other thoughts?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip down memory lane?

I attended Las Nereidas from 1968 to 1972. Anyone out there who was there? Remember Mrs. Ward with and her beehive do?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip down memory lane?

I attended Las Nereidas from 1968 to 1972. Anyone out there who was there? Remember Mrs. Ward with and her beehive do?