We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sj to VQS help

Atlanta
Level Contributor
141 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Sj to VQS help

We are flying into SJU late on a Saturday night, and the biobay moon calendar makes us want to go to VQS on the front part of the trip. I have read many posts on how to get there. Round trip on Cape Air, Air Sunshine and Air LInk are all around $200 RT. I have read that we can get inexpensive flights elsewhere but not seeing many posts about how to do that and I am thinking maybe that is no longer true. Please advise.

We have our flights to and from SJU but otherwise do not have a set itenerary right now. Still looking to figure out travel before we book rooms, but we are going in a few weeks. Assuming we won't want to spend $200 more apiece on plane tickets, what is the best ferry strategy?

thanks!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sj to VQS help

The cheaper flying options are to fly from Isla Grande airport (10 minfrom SJU) or from Ceiba (45min from SJU).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
141 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sj to VQS help

What airlines are those? I have found Sunshine, Airlink, Flamenco, and cape air flying to VSQ.

Cape Air is about 230 flying out of SJU.

The others are about 200 flying out of Isla Grande.

Perhaps those are just the lowest you can get in Feb?

pa
Level Contributor
922 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sj to VQS help

If you rent a car drive to Cieba parking is $8.50 a day and flight is about $64 round trip pp through Vieques Air Link this way you have a car already waiting for you when you get back and if you want to stop at El Yungue it's on your way back to SJU. Another advantage of this is if you have alot of luggage and don't need it over on Vieques you can stash it in the car as they do weigh all bags and purses and will also need your weight!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sj to VQS help

First off, how late are you arriving? If it is too late you will have to get a hotel for the night. Also how many people would be splitting the cost if a car service to fajardo?

Flying from isla Grande is $72 each way plus it takes a $20 cab ride to get there.

Getting to Fajardo or Ceiba is $80 plus tip. The flight from Ceiba is $34.

Check it the websites for ViequesAir Link and for Cape Air to help.

Also go www.viequesevents.net for more info.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sj to VQS help

We were looking at doing the same thing but when I saw that flying to St. Croix was $100 return, we decided that if we decide to fly anywhere, that would probably be it.

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Plymouth, MI
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sj to VQS help

Our Taxi in Puerto Rico told us that he always only charges $75 flat rate from San Juan to Fajardo and that includes luggage and tolls. I wrote about him in my previous post. Great option.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Atlanta
Level Contributor
141 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sj to VQS help

Thanks very much. We are getting in terribly late Sat night and will have to stay in SJ. Just rented a car for the week through price line and got a great rate from a big company, so intend to drive and fly from Ceiba.

5Cheers, that is an excellent idea to stash excess luggage in the car, esp since it looks like we will be on public transport on Vqs -- but is the lot secure? I called Chepito's this afternoon and they have nothing left for the week we will be there. (What I get for planning trip at the last minute.)

About how long does it take to drive from SJ to Ceiba? And what is the name of the airport there? I can't seem to figure that out!

thanks!

albert lea
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sj to VQS help

buy a RT ticket on Flamenco Air, its the easiest and you only have to be 40minutes early.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sj to VQS help

About an hours drive. The New Cieba airport is located at what once was the Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station. There is also the ferry option, it is only a couple bucks and you can take your luggage. They also have a parking area. Rental cars on Vieques are 3 to 4 times as much as on the main island and they often run out. Check into the quickly. I like flying though. The views are great. Nice photo ops and you get a look from the air.

Edited: 25 January 2013, 15:58
Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
pa
Level Contributor
922 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sj to VQS help

When we were left our car there was security I'm not sure about at night, though we didn't leave anything valuable like cameras etc. We did have lots of clothes as we were going to be on a cruise, but I figure if someone steals that they must need them worse than I do