We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

My 32nd B-Day & never been to Puerto Rico I'm often mistaken for an Puerto Rican. I've seen the Atlantic Beach Hotel not sure if I'm going to book a room there. I'm trying to stay in a budget of $150 per night and plan on staying 4 nights. I'm a little confused about the area is Isla Verda a seperate Island and how far is it from Condado? I'm flying into San Juan International Airport will a rental car be the best option if I decide to book at ABH? Where is the nightlife I will be 32 and I want to have a trip to remember? So feel free to give me ideas. I have a bucket list of things I want to do and haven't done so far in life. Example Jet Skiing, Skinny Dipping just kidding but I like to have fun and I'm open to do new things learn to dance mingle with the fine men of Puerto Rico, booze cruise safe fun so any and all ideas are appreciated one more thing are there any strip clubs with male dancers in Puerto Rico?

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
623 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

Isla Verde is mainland. Old San Juan and Puerta de Tierra are a separate land mass. You get there from Condado, walking or driving across the Condado lagoon bridge. The bridge takes just a couple minutes walking.

ABH is in the far end of Condado, Vendig St., check a map. You need to walk a few blocks to reach the area in Condado with bars, restaurants, and hotels. Walking in the other direction will find almost nothing, mostly a residential area. You do not need a car to go to Old San Juan. Take a bus or a cab. Take a cab to Isla Verde. If you will stay within those areas you do not need a car at all.

If you are looking for skinny dipping in Puerto Ricoyou may want to contact this group... www.facebook.com/profile.php… Please note that is illegal in Puerto Rico. Some people, like those in that group, find a way around.

About male strippers, I do not know a local with a steady show. I know that some clubs do it now and then, but if you stay in ABH they will know for sure.

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico

Chicago
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

How is the parking in Isla Verde? Where can I find the best deals for jet skiing, snorkling? Will any festivals be going on during the first week of May? Where can I go thats fun and mingle with locals? I want to do some tourist things but I also want to experience Puerto Rico away from tourist environments. Have you ever tried any bed and breakfast vs staying at hotels or rented an apartment? Where can you get groceries like a supermarket or farmers market?

Edited: 31 January 2013, 14:05
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

Hi Shanay, A short answer is that Isla Verde has everything you are looking for but snorkling. In fact I.V. is the only San Juan location for jet skis and other water sports. You will find great nightlife at the El San Juan and have plenty of opportunity to mingle with the local population. Supermarkets, drug stores etc are all readily available. In May you should find some pretty good deals even at the beachfront hotels.

Bloomfield CT. USA
Level Contributor
251 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

Shanay, Are you aware that the Atlantic Beach hotel caters pretty much exclusively to the gay community? Not judging, just saying.

Chicago
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

Yeah I found out someone emailed me. I don't judge either but I won't be staying there I'm trying to mingle with straight Puerto Rican men. I was told about the other areas that primarly gay people hang out so I know what areas to look at now. Thank you

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

Here's are some tips and suggestions...

As a woman close to your age that has been there and done that (literally), I would strongly recommend staying at the Intercontinental or El San Juan resorts. You can get them on Priceline.com for about $100 a night (I got Intercon for $80 a night, and ESJ for $100 a night during the high season). Both resorts are right on the nicest beach in San Juan (Isla Verde), right across the street from restaurants and shops, and right next to each other. ESJ has the best evening entertainment and the hottest club in town.

La Concha is also a fantastic option, although the beach there is not the best (rough and not swimmable most of the time).

Isla Verde is not an island. It's a touristic area in San Juan, about 5 minutes west of the airport. It's also 5 minutes from Condado, and 15 from Old San Juan.

You can jet-ski on the Isla Verde beach.

You won't need a car while in San Juan. Parking is expensive. Use the taxi and bus services instead.

Skinny dipping sounds like fun, but unfortunately, it's against the law. :)

Mingling with men also sounds like fun, but please, stay safe. You know what I mean.

Buy your booze at the supermarket and take it to your hotel. You'll save money that way. You can also drink at the beach as long as your poison is not inside a glass container or glass.

Have fun!

Edited: 31 January 2013, 17:34
7. Re: Birthday Trip W/Girlfriends 1st Wk May Atlantic Beach Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 05:18