We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites?

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Suites?

We had about decided on the Marriott Stellaris hotel for our trip in November, but after doing some more research decided maybe that hotel was not for us. I was interested mainly for the pool and the area, but I found the Embassy Suites and thought it might be a better overall deal.

I understand the beach is a couple of blocks away, which is not an issue to us. The pool looks really nice and the price includes a free full breakfast and a 2 hour free cocktail hour. The rooms appears to all be suites. I looked at the food/bar menu on their website and the prices seem to be almost 1/2 what the Marriott is charging.

What is close vincinty to the hotel? Restaurants, bars, shopping, grocery/market

We plan on going the first week of November. I hoping there won't be as many families/kids during that time. I read a few reviews that the pool was cold in March and April. Will November be any different? Can't handle a cold pool.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites?

The Embassy Suites in carolina is only a block away from Isla Verde Ave. At this ave you will find anything you need in terms of restaurants, drug stores and supermarkets. The pool in november should not be that bad.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites?

The beach is about 4 city blocks to the beach. There isn't that much around the Embassy Suites in comparison to where the Marriott Stellaris is in Condado where there are more upscale dining options, boutique stores, amenities, etc. If you have a rental car, the point is mute.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites?

Every Embassy Suites I've stayed in has been a true suite arrangement with a separate bedroom, two TVs, one in the living area and another in the bedroom, and a small fridge and microwave. They can be a great deal, since a full breakfast (with cook to order eggs, omelets, etc) and lots of other choices is included. There is also a happy hour in the afternoon that consists of free drinks and snacks such as popcorn, chips and I honestly don't remember what else but it is decent. If the situation lends itself to this option, I would not hesitate to stay there!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites?

We stayed here in February and it was great. It's definitely not 4 city blocks from the beach. It's under a 5 min walk. There's a Walgreens around the corner where we went to buy a 24 pk of waters and beers for the beach. There are a few restaurants in walking distance on the main strip. I didn't see any shopping places per se. If you want to take the public bus into Old San Juan (tons of shopping and restaurants) it's about a 45 min ride. I didn't go in the pool at all as I thought it was too cold. My husband did go in though. The ocean water was warm. The hotel itself was very nice and I had no complaints.

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites?

Thanks for all of the responses. One more question, is their any nightlife at the hotel or the surrounding area?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Suites?

We stayed almost a week and I never saw/heard any nightlife, definitely not in the hotel itself. Maybe there was something outside the hotel, not sure. I feel like it's a pretty quiet area.

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embassy Suites?

Thank you, that's good to know. I think I'm about to go with my orginal plan of the Marriott Stellaris. The Embassy's free breakfast and cocktail hour is very tempting, especially since the Marriott's prices for food and drinks are way more, but being in a quite area and away from the beach, shopping, restaurants and nightlife I think are going to be key factors. I'm going to have think about it some more. I wish the Embassy was in the Conado area and then it wouldn't be such a difficult decision.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 14:40
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embassy Suites?

bmorruzi, your estimation of a city block must be longer than mine. I have been there, it's not a great distance away, but I just don't recall it being minutes from the beach. A look on Google maps gives a better indication of it's distance from Isla Verde Beach. IMO having to walk through an urbanized area with traffic and high rises with flip flops and beach gear is inconvenient.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 17:27
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Embassy Suites?

prexplorer, being from Boston, that's what I'm basing my city blocks off of. May be different in other parts of the country? There's really not much traffic either. You cross one intersection where there's a cross walk. We didn't carry a lot of gear to the beach since they provide everything. We just had a bag with our books/sunblock and a cooler with beer. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Embassy Suites?

I have stayed at both hotels. I stayed at the Embassy Suites last year due to going with a large group and it being more economical and accomodating for a large group. The breakfast and happy hour were great at the Embassy Suites and is in walking distance to the beach and restaurants, bars and the El San Juan which has a nice night scene. The hotel itself doesn't have much for entertainment.

While I thought that the Embassy Suites was decent If money doesn't matter I would go with the Marriott. The lobby has entertainment and the location is a lot nicer. The pool area is also more lively. There are many cheap options for food close by.