We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time to Airport

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time to Airport

We will be heading home from San Juan on Dec 21st. Flight leaves at 1:50pm. We are spending most of our time in Humacao and Fajardo but will be spending our last couple days in San Juan. Thinking we will stay at Best Western Condado and had hoped to return rental car and get hotel shuttle to airport. Does not look like any hotel I checked has an airport shuttle? So, if we are driving from Condado to Airport and dropping off a car - I want to be at airport by 11:30 at least. Not sure if traffic is bad but it says only 10 miles to airport. The last time I was in San Juan I remember lots of traffic so I am wondering if I allow 30 minutes - is that enough time or not to get to airport? Also - do lots of people leave PR to go elsewhere at Christmas as this is the weekend before Christmas and should expect long security lines, etc.?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time to Airport

First, no hotels in San juan have airport shuttles. Your options are to drive your rental car or take a taxi.

Second, around mid-day It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to drive to the Airport.

San Juan Airport is always very busy on Saturdays due to it being "cruise ship turnaround day" and there's always a big influx of tourists coming/going to other Caribbean islands. Since December 21 is the Saturday before Christmas you can expect it to be even more crowded with holiday travelers so yes, you will find long lines at the check-in counters and the security check point.

HINT: Consider going to your airline's website to check-in & print your boarding passes "on-line" (most airlines will let you do this anytime with 24 hours of your flight) - your hotel should have a computer & printer you can use for this purpose.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 23:24
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time to Airport

The rental car agencies have shuttles to the airport. Drop off your car early and take their shuttle back to the airport. Puerto Ricans from all over the U.S., as well as vacationers, converge on the island at Christmas time, so it will be busy at the airport. Get there early.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time to Airport

The drive should take you 15mins. Do not underestimate the time needed to drop off the car or the TSA lines. Plan to drop off your car by 11am.

Kansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time to Airport

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the information.

5. Re: Travel time to Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17